5 reasons I’m psyched for ‘Quantum of Solace’
All this week! 5 movies I’m psyched for in November — well, 3 movies I’m psyched for and 2 I’m not yet totally sure about but would like to be psyched for — and 5 reasons why. No. 3: Quantum of Solace [opens wide November 14].
1. Two years ago, Casino Royale blew me away with its thoroughly contemporary reboot of the James Bond franchise. That first film took a tired hero who’d lived way past his expiration date and made him fresh and vital and necessary again. I can’t wait to see how that continues here.
2. Director Marc Forster has what must be one of the most eclectic filmographies of recent years: his last four films have been the lovely and delicate The Kite Runner, the sweetly meta romance of Stranger Than Fiction, the twisty head trip Stay, and the fantastical ode to inspiration Finding Neverland. Surely he’ll do something amazing and unexpected with James Bond.
3. Daniel Craig. Just… Daniel Craig. There’s something supremely, simply masculine about him. And maybe there’s something divisive, in a gender sense, about this Bond. William Leith at the Guardian’s Film Blog, feels “sorry” for this Bond. There’s something about the “lonely outsider, an ordinary boy who didn’t fit in with the other boys at his posh school, a man with a permanent chip on his shoulder” that Leith “pities.” “He’s vulnerable, and it’s a little bit sad.” But that’s what makes him so appealing, in a masculine way: that he’s strong but knows he’s not impervious — he’s arrogant but not unrealistically so. Wouldn’t it be funny if this caricature of a man had something to teach real men… perhaps firstly that vulnerability is not something to be pitied?
4. Judi Dench as M. Note to Hollywood: more kickass portrayals of dangerous, exciting, sexy women who just happen to be over 35, please.
5. That title: Quantum of Solace. Somebody, somewhere trusts that audiences will be able to interpret this. Maybe there’s hope for us all yet.
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/flick/public_html/wptest/wp-content/themes/FlickFilosopher/loop-single.php on line 106