question of the day: Do you pay any attention to the Monday-morning box office reports?
On Sunday come the estimates, then on Monday the actuals: box office numbers for the just-concluded weekend. Industry watchers and insiders can live and die by these numbers, in our era of the blockbuster and the all-important opening weekend. But how much do ordinary moviegoers or even die-hard movie fans care about them?
Do you pay any attention to the Monday-morning box office reports? Even if just out of curiosity about the horse-race aspect of the blockbuster culture?
I do, of course -- I’ve been covering the North American box office for quite a while now, and recently I began watching the U.K. box office. I wish Hollywood weren’t so focused on these numbers, but this is the reality of the industry at the moment. I’d like to think, though, that talking about those numbers with a bit of awareness toward how to change that focus is a first step toward changing the blockbuster culture. I haven’t quit figured out yet how even changing the focus can happen, never mind anything beyond that, but I’m thinking about it.
(If you have a suggestion for a QOTD, feel free to email me.)
Disqus commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Mon Jan 26 09, 10:39AM
join the conversation:
7 pre-Disqus comments
talk amongst yourselves
by MaryAnn Johanson
· question of the day: What movie event of 2012 will have the biggest impact in years to come?
· question of the day: Why is Skyfall resonating so powerfully with British audiences?
· question of the day: Is the *idea* of movies now more important than the movies themselves in entertainment media?
· question of the day: Are midnight Thursday movie openings here to stay?
· question of the day: Are classic pulp novels too dated to make faithful transfers to the big screen?
· question of the day: With so many expensive movies sinking this year, will Hollywood step back from the blockbuster?
· question of the day: Are superhero films popular because our real leaders have failed us?
· question of the day: How big can a movie get? (Or: How huge will Avengers open in North America?)
· question of the day: Are the Oscars an ever clearer indication that Hollywood *knows* it makes crap?
· question of the day: Would a coupon deal get you to a multiplex to see a movie you wouldn’t otherwise see?
DVDs and screeners received: ‘Dennis Potter: 3 to Remember,’ ‘Holly,’ more
trailer break: ‘The Uninvited’