‘Doctor Who’ thing of the day: Nicholas Courtney -- aka Brigadier Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart -- has died
It’s a sad day in Doctor Who fandom: actor Nicholas Courtney, who played the beloved character Brigadier Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart, has died. UNIT commander Lethbridge-Stewart was one of the show’s most iconic characters, and Courtney was the longest-running actor in the show’s history. Courtney was 81.
Tributes are all over the geek week. TARDIS Newsroom’s is very nice. AOL News’s features a great collection of Lethbridge-Stewart clips. And Charlie Jane Anders at io9 sums up the Brigadier -- and why we loved him -- beautifully:
The Brigadier appeared regularly on the show from 1970 through 1975, and his presence was the single most defining factor of the show's "U.N.I.T. era," in which the Doctor was trapped on Earth and conveniently encountered a larger than usual contingent of deadly threats to 20th Century humanity. The Brigadier frequently seems out of his depth, but never lets that slow him down, whether he's facing plastic dummies come to life, or unstoppable cyborg armies.
From the Guardian’s TV & Radio Blog:
Sylvester McCoy, who played the Seventh Doctor, said Courtney was very proud of the fact that he was the only Doctor Who regular to appear alongside almost every incarnation of the Doctor.
(Thanks to Keith, Ken, and Hank for the links. If you stumble across a cool Doctor Who thing, feel free to email me with a link.)
Disqus commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Wed Feb 23 11, 10:37PM
join the conversation:
by MaryAnn Johanson
Charlie Jane Anders
· female gazing at: Brigadier Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart
· Alex Pettyfer slams Hollywood; big ‘Harry Potter’ spoiler in trailer; Hollywood gender gap still gapping; more: leftover links
· Doctor Who thing of the day: Inspector Spacetime gets real
· Doctor Who thing of the day: a BBC TV drama about the creation of Doctor Who?
· Doctor Who thing of the day: a neverending parade of creative reinvention
· what she said: io9’s Charlie Jane Anders...
· ‘Lost’: the ultimate long con
· the beauty of a bad film
· ‘Doctor Who’ thing of the day: quiz show gets ‘DW’ answer wrong, but no one knows the actual answer
· Doctor Who thing of the day: a tartan for each of the Doctors
watch it: “80s TARDIS console -- in motion!”
female gazing at: Brigadier Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart