‘Doctor Who’ thing of the day: Neil Gaiman talks about writing for ‘Doctor Who’
Neil Gaiman talked to Den of Geek about writing this week’s episode, “The Doctor’s Wife.” No spoilers in my excerpts here, but there are some minor spoilers (about the setting of the episode) at Den of Geek:
[I]t’s that mad thing where you get somebody who’s a fan. And you want to do everything you’ve ever loved about the show, and you want to do that weird thing where you kind of… There's an analogy that I used a while ago, and I don’t remember if it was originally mine, or originally Terry Pratchett’s. But we’ve both used it in conversation with each other, and are now both using it in interviews, so it’s ours!
I like this bit, too:
[W]hat’s interesting is, having done this episode, I can now look at some of the ideas I’ve had throughout the course of my life since the age of, ooh, four, for Doctor Who episodes.
One last one:
I was writing the first draft before even Matt had auditioned. So I was doing what Moffat did in his first draft of The Eleventh Hour, which a lot of people did during season five, which is that you’re really writing for a hypothetical Doctor. And you kind of had David Tennant’s voice in your head, but you know it’s not going to be that, so it’s getting a bit bland.
Lots more at Den of Geek, but if you’re very averse to even minor spoilers, don’t read it till after Saturday.
(If you stumble across a cool Doctor Who thing, feel free to email me with a link.)
Disqus commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Thu May 12 11, 4:09PM
join the conversation:
by MaryAnn Johanson
· Doctor Who thing of the day: a brief history of facial hair on Doctor Who
· Doctor Who thing of the day: Season 7 premiere set for Sep 1
· Doctor Who thing of the day: how to relax and learn to love continuity errors
· Doctor Who thing of the day: the Doctor’s worst enemy? fans
· ‘Doctor Who’ thing of the day: in which we see the violence inherent in the system (re ‘Torchwood’: “Miracle Day”)
· ‘Doctor Who’ thing of the day: Just who the hell is River Song, anyway?
· ‘Doctor Who’ thing of the day: Is ‘Doctor Who’ for geeks?
· ‘Doctor Who’ thing of the day: Torchwood news!
· ‘Doctor Who’ thing of the day: yet another reason why ‘Doctor Who’ is not for kids
· trailer break: ‘Doctor Who’ Series 5 trailer 3
what he said: Devin Faraci at Badass Digest...
female gazing at: Cary Elwes