the last episode of Oprah Winfrey’s show airs today
Have I ever watched a single episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show? I don’t think so... maybe accidentally, some day in 1993 when I was home sick from work and lolling on the sofa and too miserable to change the TV channel. But her show ends today, and this might be the last hurrah for TV that inspired the U.S. on a fairly widespread, crosscultural basis. This is like the last episode of M*A*S*H all over again, and we’ll probably never see its like -- in terms of influence and impact -- again.
Apparently the topic of the episode is top secret, says TheWrap. John Sellers at TheWrap also says, in his piece entitled “I Hate Oprah (But I'll Be There for Her Finale)”:
[L]et’s face it, we’ll all be there. Whether we tune in to the actual program as it airs, save it for later viewing on our DVR, or just follow the news via the snarky comments of our friends on Twitter, this is too massive a cultural moment to ignore completely -- even for non-converts like me.
I suppose I am curious to know what Oprah has to say for her signoff... though I wouldn’t be in the least bit surprised if it’s a combination of self-congratulation and schmaltzy indulgence of mass-consumerism, accompanied by the adoring squeals of her rabid audience. You know, like the rest of her two-and-a-half decades on the air were.
Disqus commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Wed May 25 11, 2:01PM
join the conversation:
by MaryAnn Johanson
· question of the day: Is chimp-attack victim Charla Nash being exploited by Oprah and other news organizations?
· question of the day: Is it too soon for a sitcom about an army bomb disposal squad?
· question of the day: How can ‘NCIS,’ the most-watched, most-loved TV show in America, be so absent from online fandom?
· question of the day: Why do Americans love the Super Bowl so much?
· Alex Pettyfer slams Hollywood; big ‘Harry Potter’ spoiler in trailer; Hollywood gender gap still gapping; more: leftover links
· Nintendo says no to Justin Bieber; Ricky Gervais won’t host Golden Globes again; Michel Gondry not a fan of 3D; more: leftover links
· reality TV hates women; pirates love ‘Lost’ and ‘Heroes’; Kevin Smith announces career makeover; more: leftover links
· Alliance of Women Film Journalists 2010 EDA Awards nominees
· Will Smith as Robin Hood?; a Wolverine with depth?; ‘Narnia’ upsets Jesus-y types; more: leftover links
· question of the day: Whose tell-all confession would actually be worth hearing?
trailer break: ‘Real Steel’
watch it: “Chewbacca + Ewok = Dance Off!!”