question of the day: Which ‘Pirates!’ subtitle do you prefer: “Misfits” or “Scientists”?
Back when I first posted the hugely amusing trailers for Aardman’s upcoming claymation flick The Pirates!, I made a mistake regarding the title of the film. I was under the erroneous impression that “In an Adventure with Scientists!” was a tagline for the film, and I wondered at how it did not appear in the U.S. version of the trailer -- it was only in the U.K. version.
But I just recently discovered that the film’s title for U.K. audiences is, in fact, The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists!, which I absolutely adore for its zaniness, its unexpectedness, and its notion that scientists can have adventures. For U.S. audiences -- and, it seems, the rest of the world -- the film’s title is being put about as The Pirates! Band of Misfits, which isn’t anywhere near as clever.
Blogomatic3000 tweeted recently that this may be because
Science probably off-putting for religious Americans lol.
Blogomatic3000 can lol all s/he wants: I fear s/he may be correct.
Which ‘Pirates!’ subtitle do you prefer: “Misfits” or “Scientists”? And what do you think it behind the varying titles?
(Oh, and in case you’re not enticed and intrigued enough, the scientist of the U.K. title is Charles Darwin, and David Tennant supplies his voice.)
(If you have a suggestion for a QOTD, feel free to email me. Responses to this QOTD sent by email will be ignored; please post your responses here.)
Disqus commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Mon Nov 21 11, 8:00AM
join the conversation:
talk amongst yourselves
by MaryAnn Johanson
· The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists!/Band of Misfits (review)
· A Monster in Paris (trailer)
· Doctor Who thing of the day: if Aardman had created the Doctor...
· Arthur Christmas (review)
· Arthur Christmas (trailer)
· your David Tennant-as-a-pirate photo of the day (and other adventures in social networking)
· question of the day: What is your most anticipated movie of 2012?
· watch it: a less worse title for The Pirates! Band of Misfits
· The Pirates! Band of Misfits (trailer)
· question of the day: What scientific discipline would you like to see explored more on film?
London photo of the day: peeking in backstage
The Artist (trailer)