Doctor Who thing of the day: Moffat denies Hollywood reboot, but don’t breathe easy yet
Steven Moffat finally chimed in on the news of a Doctor Who Hollywood reboot, which director David Yates has been crowing about. On Friday, Moffat tweeted:
To clarify: any Doctor Who movie would be made by the BBC team, star the current TV Doctor and certainly NOT be a Hollywood reboot.
Movie thing: David Yates, great director, was speaking off the cuff, on a red carpet. You've seen the rubbish I talk when I'm cornered.
Um, what? Yates sounded pretty sure of himself a couple weeks ago:
Yates, who directed the last four Potter films, told Daily Variety that he is about to start work on developing a "Doctor Who" movie with Jane Tranter, head of L.A.-based BBC Worldwide Prods.
This is pretty specific for an off-the-cuff comment.
So what the heck is going on?
I fear Rob Bricken at Topless Robot may have the right of it:
What's weird is that Yates made his announcement on November 14th, and Moffat only responded earlier today, December 2nd. I see one of two possibilities here: the first is that after Yates said his spiel, Moffat went to the BBC, tore them a new one, and swore he would quit Who if they didn't get their shit straight and make the Who movie in regular contin-Who-ity. These discussions/threats took a couple of weeks, but the BBC acquiesced, and only today did Moffat feel confident enough to announce that any Who movie would be based on the TV series.
I’m with Bricken: We probably shouldn’t be breathing any sighs of relief just yet.
(If you stumble across a cool Doctor Who thing, feel free to email me with a link.)
Disqus commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Mon Dec 05 11, 5:13PM
join the conversation:
by MaryAnn Johanson
· ‘Doctor Who’ thing of the day: six ways Colin Baker’s Doctor got screwed
· Jason Statham: Burt Reynolds for the 20teens (and other adventures in social networking)
· Doctor Who thing of the day: that movie that David Yates was supposedly bullshitting about? it’s happening
· Doctor Who thing of the day: Hollywood threatens a Doctor Who movie from Harry Potter’s David Yates
· Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (review)
· Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (review)
· going Godwin on 'Toy Story 3'; why 'Splice' isn't sci fi (and neither is 'Minority Report' anymore); more: leftover links
· Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (review)
· Doctor Who thing of the day: fan making a Time War film
· Doctor Who thing of the day: the Most Interesting Man in the Universe
Michael Fassbender and Benedict Cumberbatch at BIFA last night