Doctor Who thing of the day: the woman who would have been Sarah Jane
I had no idea that Elisabeth Sladen was not the first actress cast to play Sarah Jane Smith alongside Jon Pertwee’s Doctor. Apparently not many people knew at all. From Radio Times:
How it could have been: nearly 40 years later, the secret of who was originally cast as Doctor Who's Sarah Jane Smith has been revealed. It was April Walker, best known for myriad guest roles in Fawlty Towers, The Two Ronnies and Yes, Minister.
Here’s what Radio Times mocked up to give us an idea what the Pertwee/Walker pairing might have looked like:
Walker certainly has a similar look to Katy Manning’s Jo Grant (though this image of Walker isn’t from DW, and she may have looked quite different in character; I wonder if we’ll ever see any of her footage). Which could be a bit of a problem -- you want a new cast member to be distinct from the one she is replacing. But too “strong” a character? This is a problem? *groan*
(If you stumble across a cool Doctor Who thing, feel free to email me with a link.)
Disqus commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Thu Jan 19 12, 3:15PM
join the conversation:
by MaryAnn Johanson
· ‘Doctor Who’ thing of the day: “My Sarah Jane - A Tribute to Elisabeth Sladen”
· ‘Doctor Who’ thing of the day: teaser ad for ‘Sarah Jane Adventures’ series 4
· Doctor Who thing of the day: William Shatner as the Master?
· Doctor Who thing of the day: has Matt Smith’s departure already been set?
· ‘Doctor Who’ thing of the day: David Tennant and Karen Gillan together again for the first time
· ‘Doctor Who’ thing of the day: there *is* a shark in the Christmas special!
· ‘Doctor Who’ blogging: “A Christmas Carol”
· question of the day: What do you think of ‘Doctor Who’s Amy Pond?
· question of the day: What is the greatest children’s film of all time?
· Doctor Who thing of the day: Is the new show too unfaithful to classic Doctor Who?
retro ad: 1940s Swift cured-meat ad satirizes political speeches