question of the weekend: Are the actions of hacker group Anonymous effective or mere vandalism?
From The New York Times yesterday:
Warned of an Attack on the Internet, and Getting Ready
That threatened attack is supposed to happen today. The article goes on to discuss, however, how those responsible for Internet infrastructure have spent the last few weeks beefing up the resilience of the DNS system. It almost sounds as if Anonymous intended this as the result of their threat. But:
Part of the challenge here is the mercurial and leaderless nature of the Anonymous movement. Just after one so-called Anonymous member called for the attack to protest, among other things, “our irresponsible leaders and the beloved bankers who are starving the world for their own selfish needs out of sheer sadistic fun,” another unnamed member of the movement pushed back. “I don’t think this is a good idea,” this person wrote on an Anonymous-affiliated site. “The collateral damage is not worth it.”
I’m as anti-big-bank as they come, but I don’t see how this sort of attack would serve as a protest against big banks.
What do you think? Are the actions of hacker group Anonymous effective or mere vandalism? Do you, perhaps, support their goals but not how they go about promoting them? Or is there no value at all in what they do?
(If you have a suggestion for a QOTD/QOTW, feel free to email me. Responses to this QOTW sent by email will be ignored; please post your responses here.)
Disqus commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Sat Mar 31 12, 11:31AM
join the conversation:
talk amongst yourselves
by MaryAnn Johanson
· question of the day: Does it matter if Shakespeare wasn’t the author of the Shakespearean plays?
· question of the day: Which director cannot escape his hackitude no matter how he tries?
· question of the day: What movie are you most looking forward to in Autumn 2011?
· London photo of the day: remember, remember the 5th of November
· The Artist will have a good night (and other Oscar predictions)
· female gazing at: Rupert Everett
· Anonymous (review)
· trailer break: ‘Anonymous’
· question of the day: Is Hollywood afraid of fanboys?
· question of the weekend: Do you ever wonder if you’re sensory deprived?
London photo of the day: if you see something suspicious, run in circles scream and shout
Saturday cute: R2D2 party cups