question of the day: Is there too much music in movies and TV these days?
[A] question arose while I was watching the 4th episode of "Deadwood" with commentary by David Carradine and Molly Parker. David was pointing out the very restrained use of music in the series, and stated his belief that there is far too much use of music to manipulate viewers' emotions in the movies and tv these days. That is, creators are counting on music to inform viewers what emotion they should be feeling rather than letting the actors' words and behavior do it. (I'm paraphrasing from memory of course). It hadn't occurred to me before, as I'm a big fan of movie music and think it's taken far too lightly by most people, but... I think he might be right. Thinking about recent movies I've seen, there's hardly a moment when there isn't some kind of music playing. So... Is there too much music in movies and tv these days?
There it is: Is there too much music in movies and TV these days? Which movies or TV shows would have benefitted from less music?
(If you have a suggestion for a QOTD, feel free to email me. Responses to this QOTD sent by email will be ignored; please post your responses here.)
Disqus commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Tue Aug 14 12, 8:00AM
join the conversation:
talk amongst yourselves
by MaryAnn Johanson
· question of the day: What classic films would you like to see inspire a new Star Wars movie?
· question of the day: How can we update archetypal stories and characters (such as Sherlock Holmes) to be more gender equitable?
· question of the day: Is Arrested Development on Netflix the future of “television”?
· question of the day: Who would be convinced to see a movie by a quote on an ad from a random guy on Twitter?
· question of the day: What do you think of the Golden Globe winners (and losers)?
· question of the weekend: If someone from the 1950s suddenly appeared today, what would be the most difficult thing to explain to them about life today?
· question of the day: Who would you like to see on a celebrity newscast?
· question of the day: What 2013 movie are you most looking forward to?
· question of the day: What movie event of 2012 will have the biggest impact in years to come?
· question of the day: Is local television dead?
London photo of the day: cheapest wine ever
The Good Doctor (trailer)