question of the day: Will Seth MacFarlane be a good Oscar host?
I’m not sure there’s a name that could have surprised me more popping up as next year’s host of the Academy Awards ceremony: Seth MacFarlane? I mean, sure, he’s cute, he’s funny -- at least as himself on talk shows; except for Ted and those Family Guy Star Wars things, his writing isn’t funny -- but as far as I’m aware, he’s not a performer. How did this happen?
Peter Bradshaw at the Guardian’s Film Blog has a bit of an explanation:
[T]here is a persistent worry that the Oscar telecast simply can't get the ratings that it once did. In the all-important 18-49 age-range, the 2012 show got 14.9 million viewers, as opposed to a whopping 113 million for the Super Bowl.
Ah, okay, so he has done hosting duties before, apparently successfully. And the demographic issue is a major one for the Oscars.
What do you think? Will Seth MacFarlane be a good Oscar host?
(If you have a suggestion for a QOTD, feel free to email me. Responses to this QOTD sent by email will be ignored; please post your responses here.)
Disqus commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Tue Oct 02 12, 9:58AM
join the conversation:
talk amongst yourselves
by MaryAnn Johanson
· Ted (review)
· question of the day: Is Fox’s ‘The Cleveland Show’ nothing more than a 21st-century minstrel show?
· question of the day: ‘Family Guy’ abortion episode: WTF?
· because Seth MacFarlane is a bigger jerk than we knew
· question of the day: Which actors deserve to be bigger stars than they are?
· wtf: the ‘Guardian’s list of 100 powerful people in British film has few Brits on it
· what he said: Peter Bradshaw at the ‘Guardian’ Film blog ...
· what he said: ‘Guardian’ film critic Peter Bradshaw...
· question of the day: What products would “blend seamlessly” as product placement into which TV shows?
· Maria Shriver leaked Arnie’s shame; Alan Rickman’s awesome open letter to J.K. Rowling; Disney abandons ‘Seal Team 6’ trademark; more: leftover links
London photo of the day: this is either some sort of art project...
That’s What She Said (redband trailer)