question of the day: What are your all-time favorite and least favorite drama movies?
Reader Anne-Kari recently suggested that we talk about
Favorite and least favorite movies within specific genres (drama, b&w, scifi, comedy)?
So that’s what we’re doing all this week. Today’s question:
What are your all-time favorite and least favorite drama movies?
I’m thinking, for our purposes here, about defining drama as a film with no fantastical elements, and one in which drama outweighs whatever elements of action or adventure that might be present. So I have to choose GoodFellas, a film that rocked me when I first saw and has stuck with me ever since, and one that I never fail to thoroughly enjoy on re-viewings. I suspect that one reason why this movie appeals to much to me is that while it is based on a true story and so couldn’t be any more completely grounded in reality, it does evince a feeling that there is something fantastical in the peek it offers us into a way of life that most of us have no experience of.
Worst dramas for me are those that favor phony and contrived sentiment over authentic emotion. So any movie based on a Nicholas Sparks novel would “win” here.
(If you have a suggestion for a QOTD, feel free to email me. Responses to this QOTD sent by email will be ignored; please post your responses here.)
Disqus commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Thu Jan 03 13, 10:25AM
join the conversation:
talk amongst yourselves
by MaryAnn Johanson
· GoodFellas (review)
· Raging Bull (review)
· trailer break: ‘Love Ranch’
· question of the day: What is your favorite foodie movie, or foodie scene in a movie?
· question of the day: What are your favorite Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio movies, together or separately?
· the Onion just makes me cry these days (and other adventures in social networking)
· Friday night fortune cookie: Henry Hill says...
· February 26: DVD alternatives to this weekend’s multiplex offerings
· ‘Caprica’ blogging: “The Reins of a Waterfall”
· The Crew and The Whole Nine Yards (review)
London photo of the day: everybody loves a parade
Doctor Who thing of the day: way cool fan-toon “Blink to the Future”