question of the day: What classic films would you like to see inspire a new Star Wars movie?
Hey, maybe this Disney-Lucasfilm merger will turn out to be fun! Or a disaster! From Vulture:
Man of Steel and 300 director Zack Snyder said he had no interest in directing the hotly anticipated seventh Star Wars film. But Vulture has learned that while this may be specifically true — he won’t be doing Episode VII — it was a bit of misdirection: He is in fact developing a Star Wars project for Lucasfilm that is set within the series’ galaxy, though parallel to the next trilogy. It will be an as-yet-untitled Jedi epic loosely based on Akira Kurosawa’s 1954 classic Seven Samurai, with the ronin and katana being replaced by the Force-wielding knights and their iconic lightsabers. (Go ahead, say it — you know you want to: “ … an elegant weapon, for a more civilized age.” Felt good, didn’t it?)
Hoorah...? (As long as it bears no resemblance toSnyder’s Sucker Punch it might be okay.) Anyway, this inspired Scott Meslow at The Week to have a think on what other classic films could do with the Star Wars treatment. Some of his titles:
Mr. Smith Goes to Coruscant
Click over to The Week to read his synposes and check out his other titles. They’re funny.
What classic films would you like to see inspire a new Star Wars movie? And what would the story be?
Midnight Kessel Run: A down-on-his-luck Jango Fett takes a job hunting down a mildmannered accounant for the Hutts who’s jumped bail. Comedy and adventure ensues on the return trip to Coruscant. Featuring a cameo appearance by Serrano the Hutt.
(If you have a suggestion for a QOTD, feel free to email me. Responses to this QOTD sent by email will be ignored; please post your responses here.)
Disqus commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Fri Jan 18 13, 10:50AM
join the conversation:
talk amongst yourselves
by MaryAnn Johanson
Man of Steel
Return of the Jedi
· watch it: teen girl Venus Angelic transforms herself in a doll
· question of the day: Who should -- and should not -- direct a new Star Wars movie for Disney?
· question of the day: What movie event of 2012 will have the biggest impact in years to come?
· Joss Whedon agrees with me about geekitude (and other adventures in social networking)
· The Cold Light of Day (review)
· Henry Cavill as Superman: part of the No Superhero Left Behind program
· cinematic roots of: ‘Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole’
· question of the day: Is it fair to call ‘Watchmen’ director Zack Snyder “visionary”?
· U.K. box office: ‘Watchmen’ can’t win for winning here, either
· 300 (review)
London photo of the day: be safe!
Safe Haven (trailer)