question of the weekend: What made you finally feel like a grownup?
I’ve got too much grownup stuff on my mind at the moment. I need to file my first tax return in the U.K. this month, which is a chore and a worry. And I need to find a new place to live by the end of the month, which is a hassle at the best of times, and much worse when operating on a starving-writer budget. This is grownup stuff that’s no fun.
But sometimes being a grownup is fun. Like how my little cousin, who was then around nine, was astonished that I was “allowed” to wear my pajamas all day; I explained that that was one of the nice things about being a grownup.
What made you finally feel like a grownup? (I hope it’s a nice thing, but I suppose it could be an unpleasant thing, too.) For me, it was the moment in my first apartment, when I was only 19 years old, when I realized that the fridge was all mine, that I could put anything into it that I wanted, and that no one else would have anything to say about it. Not that my parents, when I had been living in their house, had been fridge tyrants or anything, which I think is partly why this realization struck me so hard and why I’ve never forgotten it. It had never occurred to me previously that there could be anything special about having one’s own fridge until I did.
(If you have a suggestion for a QOTD/QOTW, feel free to email me. Responses to this QOTW sent by email will be ignored; please post your responses here.)
Disqus commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Sat Jan 05 13, 10:36AM
join the conversation:
talk amongst yourselves
by MaryAnn Johanson
· question of the day: What classic films would you like to see inspire a new Star Wars movie?
· question of the day: How can we update archetypal stories and characters (such as Sherlock Holmes) to be more gender equitable?
· question of the day: Is Arrested Development on Netflix the future of “television”?
· question of the day: Who would be convinced to see a movie by a quote on an ad from a random guy on Twitter?
· question of the day: What do you think of the Golden Globe winners (and losers)?
· question of the weekend: If someone from the 1950s suddenly appeared today, what would be the most difficult thing to explain to them about life today?
· question of the day: Who would you like to see on a celebrity newscast?
· question of the day: What 2013 movie are you most looking forward to?
· question of the day: What movie event of 2012 will have the biggest impact in years to come?
· question of the day: Is local television dead?
London photo of the day: huge knockers!
London photo of the day: the St Paul’s Cathedral bat signal