QOTD: Was South African TV right to air a reality show featuring Reeva Steenkamp (even with her family’s approval)?
By now you’ve heard the not-at-all surprising news: Another famous, successful male athlete has killed his female intimate partner. Paralympic gold medallist Oscar Pistorius is accused to shooting to death Reeva Steenkamp last week, and has been charged with murder.
Here’s the next not-at-all-surprising thing. South African TV network SABC on Saturday night aired an episode of a reality television program featuring Steenkamp, who was a model. From South Africa’s IOL News:
Johannesburg - It was billed as a fitting tribute to “an intelligent, beautiful and amazing woman” but the airing of a Caribbean reality TV show featuring the girlfriend of Paralympic star Oscar Pistorius two days after she was shot dead has upset some South Africans.
Sure. From The Independent:
Samantha Moon, executive producer of the show and owner of the Johannesburg production company, Stimulii, said her firm was "in no way seeking to exploit" the model's murder and that airing the programme was the best "tribute" to Ms Steenkamp. At the same time, however, Mrs Moon was charging news outlets $3,000 each to broadcast a short clip from the television show – with at least a dozen networks buying rights.
On Friday, as news of the airing spread, we heard that SABC had the permission of Steenkamp’s family to air the episode. However, the AP (via Newsday) says otherwise:
Steenkamp's family said earlier Saturday that it had not been contacted by either the SABC — South Africa's national broadcaster — or the show's producers for permission to air it, but were not opposed to it because Reeva wanted everyone to see it.
Was South Africa TV right to air a reality show featuring Reeva Steenkamp (even with her family’s approval)?
It seems ghoulish to me. What do you think? Is there any parallel universe in which the decision was made not to air this, or was it entirely inevitable, given the buzzardlike nature of pop culture today?
(If you have a suggestion for a QOTD, feel free to email me. Responses to this QOTD sent by email will be ignored; please post your responses here.)
blog comments powered by Disqus
Mon Feb 18 13, 11:04AM
join the conversation:
talk amongst yourselves
by MaryAnn Johanson
Tropika Island Of Treasure
· London photo of the day: Irish Paralympics fans
· London photo of the day: “spirit in motion,” stationary
· London photo of the day: dance of the Gamesmakers
· London photo of the day: RAF at the Paralympics
· London photo of the day: vive la crazy French dudes
· London photo of the day: Paralympics cheerleaders
· question of the day: Do you second-screen?
· question of the day: Do you turn on the TV out of habit, hoping to find something to watch, or only when you know there’s something you don’t want to miss?
· question of the day: What moment of television during your lifetime has been the most dramatic, or had the most impact on you?
· question of the weekend: What would be the equivalent of L.A.’s Carmageddon where you live?
London photo of the day: like War Horse in stone and metal
The Croods (trailer)