QOTW: What are the most unnecessary human inventions?
This weekend let us examine those applications of human ingenuity and enterprise that are mysterious, inexplicable, and basically make us go: Wow, someone spent their life making this a reality. Could anything be sadder than that?
What are the most unnecessary human inventions?
I must choose scented toilet paper. Which, to be fair, is probably not the result of someone’s life’s work but more likely the ghastly outcome of a corporate marketing brainstorming weekend, but it’s an idea that is completely unnecessary even as a marketing idea because it’s not like people need any sort of extra incentive to buy toilet paper. And what sort of competitive edge does it offer? Who wants to rub some of their most sensitive bits with chemicals? I wish I knew where this came from... but Japan is probably a good guess, what with the extra disgust the Japanese seem to have about all things related to the toilet. I don’t recall ever seeing scented TP in supermarkets in the New York area -- though I certainly wasn’t looking, either -- and I don’t see it offered on any U.S. shopping sites, such as Amazon or Peapod (the grocery-delivery service I used in NYC). The product is definitely a must-avoid in U.K. shops, however... though now that I think on it, I’m not sure if it was as ubiquitous only two years ago, when I first arrived in London. So maybe it’s new here, too. Let’s hope it goes the way of New Coke and disappears from shelves soon.
(If you have a suggestion for a QOTD/QOTW, feel free to email me. Responses to this QOTW sent by email will be ignored; please post your responses here.)
blog comments powered by Disqus
Sat Mar 09 13, 12:49PM
join the conversation:
talk amongst yourselves
by MaryAnn Johanson
· question of the day: Do you have a favorite convention memory?
· "Journalist Wanted. No Pay." ugh (and other adventures in social networking)
· River Song, meet Hello Kitty (and other adventures in social networking)
· Game of Thrones season three casting news (and other adventures in social networking)
· Doctor Who thing of the day: adorable Daleks
· what it will mean for all of us as Hollywood takes over China (and other adventures in social networking)
· the oh-no! DVD of the week: ‘Hello Kitty's Paradise Minding Manners & 5 Other Stories’
· question of the day: What piece of music do you wish had been used in a movie so you could see the visuals and story that go with it?
· question of the weekend: What great things will future generations miss out on?
· question of the day: Would you watch movies on Facebook?
London photo of the day: where they make the art in the museum
London photo of the day: more secrets of the art world!