trailer break: ‘Women in Trouble’

Take a break from work: watch a trailer…

So, I had been assuming from the poster:

that the trouble these women are in involves not being able to dress themselves — as if, perhaps, they were mentally deficient or something.

And the trailer appears to bear this out. The mentally deficient part, at least, since these women appear not to know where babies come from and that shouting is a good response to a temporary problem; they’re unable to operate automobiles without running someone over (we all know that women are terrible drivers and worst pedestrians: they get run over “all the time”); also, they’re so stupid that they don’t realize men do not have to mentally undress them if they’re already naked.

I don’t see how that one woman is “in trouble,” though, because her significant other is a jerk who cheats on her: surely he’s the one who’s in trouble, because she’s about to dump him, right?

“If we don’t tell people how we feel, what are we doing here?” See, because that’s what women do: we never ever shut up about our feelings.

For what it’s worth, writer-director Sebastian Gutierrez is one of the dudes who wrote Snakes on a Plane, so perhaps I shouldn’t have expected much more than this.

Women in Trouble opens in the U.S. on November 13; no U.K. release date has been announced.

MaSch
MaSch
Fri, Oct 30, 2009 12:01pm

So, what you are saying is, this comment made you as a woman feel annoyed? ;-)

Cara
Cara
Fri, Oct 30, 2009 12:15pm

Hmm. Another attack on a work of art based on gender. Guess Flaubert shouldn’t have written ‘Madame Bovary’ because he was a man.

You lost me at ‘Doctor Who fan fiction’…

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Fri, Oct 30, 2009 12:23pm

Oh, Cara, please do explain what Doctor Who fan fiction has to do with this trailer. I’d love to know.

Accounting Ninja
Accounting Ninja
Fri, Oct 30, 2009 2:05pm

Hmm. Another attack on our gender clothed in a work of art.

Fixed that for you.

The only interesting, non-homogenized-Hollywood-Barbie-doll seems to be the 13 year old girl character. Make a movie about HER please!

And if you can’t stand fanfiction, Dr. Who and other forms of sci-fi geekery, boy are YOU in the wrong place!

Accounting Ninja
Accounting Ninja
Fri, Oct 30, 2009 2:07pm

BTW, sorry to double post, but no grown-ass woman would EVER ask “how can I be pregnant” just so the dudely doctor can condescend to her in all his manly wisdom. Jesus. That part pissed me off.

Brian
Brian
Fri, Oct 30, 2009 3:42pm

I can’t help seeing this title and thinking of the “Catholic Schoolgirls in Trouble” sketch from Kentucky Fried Movie, so it’s tough for me to take this seriously in the first place.

Paul
Paul
Fri, Oct 30, 2009 4:52pm

But they all look so happy in the poster. How can they possibly be oppressed? ;) But it does look like Hollywood is slowly revealing it’s true colors, or lack there of.

Cara
Cara
Fri, Oct 30, 2009 7:39pm

What I meant, MaryAnn, is that trashing a dude because he has a writing credit on Snakes On A Plane is like dismissing someone’s opinions on a female-driven comedy because the person giving the opinion writes Doctor Who fan fiction.
Everybody covering movies knows Hollywood studio movies have a bizillion writers fighting over arbitration and very rarely can you tell who wrote what on a studio movie.
This looks by all accounts like an indie. Trying for something different than the usual ‘chick attracts opposite and hopes he can grow up to be the right man for her” chick flick… so why not give it a chance?
As a woman, I for one don’t mind seeing fine actresses (Connie Britton, Carla Gugino, Sarah Clarke, Marley Shelton) embrace their sexuality, and I don’t actually know many women who do, but they all seem to be writing on this post.

Alli
Alli
Sat, Oct 31, 2009 12:03am

Maybe we should question the writing, not because of what he wrote in the past, but because there were at least 5 verbal cliches in that trailer (not to mention visual and character cliches)?

Honestly, if this film turns our to parody some of the stupid crap we often see in “chick flicks,” then I think it would be interesting. If not, then it’s just another crap film marketed toward women.

Paul
Paul
Sat, Oct 31, 2009 6:12pm

Marketed to women? I’m looking at the poster and wondering about that.

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Sat, Oct 31, 2009 6:59pm

Have you read my DW fan fiction? :->

I don’t mind that, either. Do you see that in the trailer? All I see are women embracing their stupidity.