female gazing at: Bradley Cooper

In a still from The A-Team, wherein Bradley Cooper appears shirtless for such a surprising percentage of the runtime that it makes me wonder if director Joe Carnahan is gay. If it was fan service for the straight women and gay men in the audience, then thank you, Joe.

I’m gonna post a picture like this one every weekday, of a man who is attractive and desirable, because I like to look, dammit — and because the female gaze doesn’t have to be such serious business.

Oh, and also as a fuck-you to Bret Easton Ellis, who thinks women don’t like to look.

Orangutan
Orangutan
Mon, Jun 14, 2010 8:09pm

I don’t think a guy has to be gay or bi in order to appreciate when another guy looks pretty damn good. Cooper’s hot, no doubt about that. I’d love to photograph him, same way I’d love to photograph Jennifer Connelly or Summer Glau. Does he get me aroused? Nope.

Maybe I’m an anomaly in this case. Wouldn’t be the first time. :)

Cori Ann
Cori Ann
Mon, Jun 14, 2010 8:22pm

I am totally down with this new “feature.” :o) Well done MaryAnn, well done indeed.

Weimlady
Mon, Jun 14, 2010 8:25pm

Are you taking suggestions? :) Or do you have enough in mind already?

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Mon, Jun 14, 2010 8:40pm

Feel free to make suggestions. But it’ll be easier for me to keep track of them if you email me at thechick@flickfilosopher.com.

I agree. But unfortunately many straight men — not all, but many — would not. Only the ones confident in their sexuality would agree, I think. :->

Rosalind
Rosalind
Mon, Jun 14, 2010 9:32pm

excellent feature! Can you re-post those pics of Robert Downey Jr.? Hubba hubba!

Lisa
Lisa
Mon, Jun 14, 2010 10:09pm

I loved him in Alias but since then …meh .. maybe it’s the hair…

Kate
Kate
Mon, Jun 14, 2010 10:37pm

Wonderful new feature of the site. Will definitely look forward to it.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
Mon, Jun 14, 2010 11:26pm

Please don’t avoid men with hair! ;-)

I like this new feature.

Ide Cyan
Ide Cyan
Tue, Jun 15, 2010 1:37am

Nice.

By the by, I don’t know if you’re ever going to get around to viewing/reviewing it, but The Midnight Meat Train, while not free of the male gaze as a movie overall, has a scene where Brooke Shields’ character critiques Bradley Cooper’s on his gaze (in his work as a photographer) and her insight is taken as authoritative.

Isobel
Isobel
Tue, Jun 15, 2010 4:22am

I’m liking this feature too – can we get some shirtless Clive Owen, too? Should make LaSargenta happy too – he’s rather nicely hairy :)

Jo the Hat
Tue, Jun 15, 2010 5:05am

Found the original post about the female gaze fascinating – loving the follow-up idea! Can you add Rufus Sewell to the list please?

Sandy
Sandy
Tue, Jun 15, 2010 9:55am

Ooo, good new feature! Thanks!

I once rented Pathfinder only because you mentioned that Karl Urban was shirtless through a good percentage of the movie (and I enjoyed it, too).

Speaking of Mr. Urban – might I suggest him for the list?

-Sandy

marshall
marshall
Tue, Jun 15, 2010 10:19am

You are not alone Orangutan. I’m a guy, who likes looking at women, but I can also recognize when a guy is good looking or has a nice physique without being ‘aroused’.

nyjm
nyjm
Tue, Jun 15, 2010 10:44am

For me, Face being shirtless so often is logical for the character. I’ll admit that Bradley Cooper looks pretty good, but it makes sense to me that Face would be the kind of egotist that would flaunt what he’s got at all times. This is part of what I really enjoyed about A-Team: for an summer-pop-corn-action-movie, it’s surprisingly character-driven.

Lisa
Lisa
Tue, Jun 15, 2010 11:12am

I meant his haircut. He’s too blonde and he looks like he spends a lot of time on it – works for Face but in real life, I find that a little off putting.