female gazing at: Peter Davison

Oh, I do love the pretty blond boys. All Creatures Great and Small was one of my first forays into British drama on PBS when I was probably 12. And I instantly fell in love with Tristan, and with Peter Davison:

My crush was sealed for life with Doctor Who:

(I love the fancy sideburns. David Tennant’s Doctor didn’t introduce hints of vanity into the Doctor’s appearance: Peter Davison did.)

From the extras on the Last Detective box set:

The beard was because he was playing King Arthur in Monty Python and the Holy Grail in the West End:

I cannot express how much more it makes me love him to know that he is a Monty Python fan (which we know not just because of this one role but because he has said as much in interviews).

I’m posting pictures like these every weekday, of a man who is attractive and desirable, because I like to look, dammit — and because the female gaze doesn’t have to be such serious business.

(If you have a suggestion for someone we should female-gaze at, feel free to email me with a name or a link to a particular photo.)

If you haven’t commented here before, your first comment will be held for MaryAnn’s approval. This is an anti-spam, anti-troll, anti-abuse measure. If your comment is not spam, trollish, or abusive, it will be approved, and all your future comments will post immediately. (Further comments may still be deleted if spammy, trollish, or abusive, and continued such behavior will get your account deleted and banned.)
spaghetteve
spaghetteve
Fri, Jul 02, 2010 5:48pm

Oh, yes. The “Black Orchid” episodes of Who, in which PD spends a lot of time padding around in a silk bathrobe, had much to do with my sexual awakening. Also there was very sexy cricket-playing. Doctor athleticism!

Sharpless
Sharpless
Fri, Jul 02, 2010 7:54pm

My memory fails me, as usual, but I’m fairly certain that he was my first Doctor. Not to make you feel old or anything :) but I was born when he held the TARDIS keys, and I remember seeing him here and there and, most notably, in the Five Doctors episode we had on VHS. So, out of the classic Doctors, he’s probably the closest to being my original one. He’s quite a good entry point too, as far as classic Who is concerned. Not too weird, but not too bland, either.

Also, whenever I start to feel like the new series is trying too hard to appeal to ladies’ and gay men’s sex drives, I just have to look at Peter to remind myself that Tennant wasn’t the first “pretty boy” Doctor.

Ide Cyan
Ide Cyan
Fri, Jul 02, 2010 8:22pm

What, no screencaps from his appearance on The Tomorrow People, wearing a pink wig and tight blue shorts?

He’s such an affable fellow and I hate to embarass him, but one simply can’t overlook these in a post about men’s looks.

Teeny Gozer
Teeny Gozer
Fri, Jul 02, 2010 8:27pm

Yes, I remember it really took the curse off of losing my beloved Tom Baker because it was Tristan Farnon taking over the role of Dr. Who. Boo! to losing Baker, but YAY!!! to gaining Davison. As a friend of mine said, “You didn’t tell me Dr. Who was a *fox*!”

Tammy
Tammy
Fri, Jul 02, 2010 10:22pm

Absolutely my favorite debauched choir boy of all time. :-D

History of Bubbles
History of Bubbles
Sat, Jul 03, 2010 2:32am

Why, MaryAnn, how did you know I’ve just been introducing myself to the Davison episodes of Doctor Who—and that I’m a sucker for blonds? Hiding those flaxen locks under a bushel, as in your first image, should be a crime. (He also looks curiously Clark Kent-ish there! Not necessarily a bad thing.) Acerbic guys are another of my weaknesses, and Davison’s Doctor is so gloriously pissy; I love it.

Never seen him in All Creatures Great and Small, but I do remember enjoying the book, so with that and Davison to recommend it I might just slap it on the ol’ Instant Queue.

Emmyn2
Emmyn2
Tue, Nov 13, 2012 6:05pm

deffo fit!! i fancied him as Dr who.. and i was only about 3?!!!!