female gazing at: Richard Roxburgh

I stumbled across Van Helsing when I flipping the TV around the other night. Terrible movie… but Richard Roxburgh is so cute as the evil vampire. Is he supposed to be so cute as the bad guy?

Another Aussie. How do they make them so delicious Down Under?

He played Sherlock Holmes, it seems. Must seek this out…

Doctors don’t do it for me like they do for some other women — medical doctors, that is — but I might make an exception in this case:

I’m posting pictures like these every weekday, of a man who is attractive and desirable, because I like to look, dammit — and because the female gaze doesn’t have to be such serious business.

(If you have a suggestion for someone we should female-gaze at, feel free to email me with a name or a link to a particular photo.)

Nina
Nina
Tue, Aug 10, 2010 9:17pm

The 1st picture…. WOW!!!! love blond hair & eye crinkles. He sure bears no resemblance to his bad vampire from Van Helsing ( a cheesy film, yes, but one I am irresistably drawn to when it shows up on late night cable).

Hank Graham
Hank Graham
Wed, Aug 11, 2010 4:53am

Good actor–I loved how he threw himself into the character of the Duke in “Moulin Rouge.”

But spare yourself, MaryAnn; the production of Sherlock Holmes he was in was perhaps the worst I’ve ever seen. He was okay, but the script was putrid and the Watson was the very worst I’ve ever seen, in any medium.

Lisa
Lisa
Wed, Aug 11, 2010 5:58am

The only movie I liked him in was Thank God he met Lizzie oh and Mission Impossible 2! Can’t bear Van Helsing – they make prisoners in Guantanamo Bay watch it

mortadella
mortadella
Wed, Aug 11, 2010 11:08am

Yes indeed, the Aussies have a tendency to be yummy, don’t they? Speaking of which, any chance you may feature Guy Pearce or Joel Edgerton, MaryAnn?

Kathy A
Kathy A
Wed, Aug 11, 2010 11:29am

Hank, did you see the Hound of the Baskervilles or the other Holmes film? I rather liked Hound, and Ian Hart’s Watson wasn’t too bad there (but I’m a fan of Hart’s, so I was forgiving of any major flaws). I didn’t see The Sign of Four, which I believe was the other one.

Maddie
Maddie
Wed, Aug 11, 2010 2:26pm

I had the very great joy of seeing Richard Roxburgh on stage in The Seagull when I was at university. He’s simply incredible as a stage actor, much better than I’ve ever seen him in movies, and blew everyone else off the stage. And this was a really good cast, including Cate Blanchett! At one point, his character, a writer, gave quite a long monologue about how it annoyed him to constantly be described as “very good, but not as good as Dostoyevsky” – it’s a pretty mild-mannered rant, and Roxburgh didn’t make it melodramatic, but he was absolutely spellbinding.

Brian
Brian
Wed, Aug 11, 2010 2:46pm

Ah, crap. HTML fail. Sorry about that, forgot to put the last “” on.