female gazing at: Richard Dean Anderson

richarddeananderson1

There’s cute actors who are nice to look at, and talented handsome men who are pleasant to pass some cinematic time with. And then there are the very few Perfect Imaginary Boyfriends. The ones who hold the places of honor in the pantheon of personal fantasy.

For me, Richard Dean Anderson is pretty close to the top of my list. Sorry if that’s TMI.

richarddeananderson2

It started with MacGyver, of course. Mac was like the Doctor, except he was human: brilliant, rational, masculine but not macho, with an aversion to violence and a preference for solving problems with his brain. He even liked dogs:

richarddeananderson3

But it was with Colonel Jack O’Neill on Stargate SG-1 that Anderson cemented my love.

richarddeananderson4

SG-1 had its problems, but there were a lot of reasons why it was, I think, the best SF TV series of the late 90s/early 2000s (I could write a book, and maybe I will). In extreme brief, the show’s humanism spoke to me, and I (rightly or wrongly) attribute some of that to Anderson, who was also a producer of the show.

Plus, he does Silver Fox very well:

richarddeananderson5

Who could not be madly in love with this man?

(If you have a suggestion for someone we should female-gaze at, feel free to email me with a name or a link to a particular photo. But check to see whom we’ve already gazed at.)

Thu, Jun 27, 2013 9:31pm

A reason I find him interesting is that he’s had these two rather different roles, at rather different ages, and he’s made both of them thoroughly his own.

He doesn’t seem to have had a great deal of other work, which I suppose is a standard problem if you have a leading part in a long-running show…

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  RogerBW
Fri, Jun 28, 2013 9:47am

He made a handful of TV movies in the 80s and 90s, none of which are any good. Partly they’re just shitty movies, and partly he doesn’t have a lot of range. But *in* his range, he’s great.

althea
althea
Thu, Jun 27, 2013 10:33pm

As to your final question, MAJ, the answer is “boy howdy, not me”. You’ve said pretty much anything I would have said. How about you write that book?

Selma Bouvier
Selma Bouvier
Fri, Jun 28, 2013 2:04am

Am I wrong, or did it get hotter in here? Hrrrrmmmmgh
Just hearing the MacGyver opening makes my leg hair stand at attention. Hold Jubjub for a sec – mama needs a smoke.

Lisa
Lisa
Fri, Jun 28, 2013 10:48am

haven’t seen these but keep meaning to look them up! I miss Macgyver

Colleen AUS
Colleen AUS
Fri, Jun 28, 2013 1:30pm

Oh yeah…now you’re talking ;) He rocked SG-1 – he really was a great foil for the other characters & he didn’t take any BS…excellent choice for a P.I.B. :)

Lynn Reynolds
Lynn Reynolds
Fri, Jun 28, 2013 1:56pm

And starring in and producing a science fiction show with a strong, smart female sidekick (in the form of Samantha Carter) only makes him that much cooler.

David N-T
David N-T
reply to  Lynn Reynolds
Fri, Jun 28, 2013 2:22pm

I never thought of her as a sidekick, but as a full-fledged member of the team. In later seasons, she even co-leads the team with Mitchell.

Prankster36
Prankster36
Fri, Jun 28, 2013 6:15pm

“Richard Dean Anderson will be in my dreams tonight!”
(I can’t BELIEVE I’m the first one to post that, I mean COME ON people.)

Jay Sherman
Jay Sherman
reply to  Prankster36
Sun, Jun 30, 2013 12:02am

MacGyver’s gay.

Danielly Carla de Oliveira
Danielly Carla de Oliveira
Fri, Jun 28, 2013 8:10pm

I’m only 24, I met Richard Dean Anderson as MacGyver, through my father, although so little time I know the RDA and know that he is 63 years old I just fell for him. I do not care if he is much older than me, if he is overweight … for me it will always be beautiful. I love Richard Dean Anderson.

teenygozer
teenygozer
Sat, Jun 29, 2013 2:27am

Favorite RDA story: during the period he was playing MacGyver, he came home and found he’d lost his keys, so he took a bench on his front porch and threw it through his front window to get in. His friends stole the bench and painted it like a Swiss Army knife, gifting him with it and calling it his “Swiss Army bench.”

Also, as you noted, Mac & the Doctor are similar. Possibly because Terry Nation had a hand in creating both characters’ mythos. They’re practically cousins!

Jackie
Jackie
Tue, Jul 02, 2013 2:42pm

:) we have a girl magazin in germany “BRAVO”. In the middle of it there where posters of stars. RDA as McGyver was in my first bought BRAVO and the only one i put on my dresser door!! :) 25years ago!

beautymoon
beautymoon
Wed, Jul 17, 2013 8:39pm

how could not love him I am in totally, McGyver is the wonderful show, DTV, COO channel just re-run all episode.. I can’t miss that.. Hope he stay healthy, Make some movie.. he did gain weight from his 20ish but who hasn’t.. human body is strange things. we all do. He looks classic, sophisticate with gray hair..

Guest
Guest
Tue, Jul 30, 2013 3:28am

I am madly in love with RDA, 1st watched him in MacGyver & fell in love with him, then watched him in Stargate SG-1. Two of the most awesomest tv series ever!!
I had the most extreme taste of luck, and the best day ever when I met the talented, super hot, Richard Dean Anderson at a Comic Con in Perth Australia!! It was so awesome meeting my idol and crush.
Anyone who thinks

Emma Basson
Emma Basson
Tue, Jul 30, 2013 3:43am

I am madly in love with RDA, 1st saw him in MacGyver & fell in love with him, then in Stargate SG-1. They are the two most awesomest tv series ever!!
I experienced the best day when I met the talented, brillient, super hot Richard Dean Anderson at a Comic Con earlier this year in Perth Australia. It was so awesome to meet my idol and crush in person!!

Anyone who says or thinks RDA is anything other than talented, hot, sexy ect. is a mean ass dickhead in my opinion.

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Emma Basson
Tue, Jul 30, 2013 1:09pm

Your enthusiasm is appreciated, but we generally don’t go in for this sort of thing:

mean ass dickhead

reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Tue, Jul 30, 2013 1:50pm

I deleted that part.

Jon Schwark
Jon Schwark
Fri, Aug 02, 2013 9:35pm

“Stargate SG-1” is better than “Farscape”? SRSLY????