The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug trailer: an epic of epic epicness

By god, Peter Jackson is going to squeeze all the epicness he can out of The Hobbit, even if it kills us. (The Arkenstone? Totally like the One Ring.) Did he mean to make this trailer imply that the rest of his nine-hour Hobbit odyssey is going to look like a parody of his Lord of the Rings movies?

Lee Pace as an elf should be awesome, however.

Wed, Jun 12, 2013 12:23pm

So my daughter saw Luke Evans as Bard the Bowman (at 1:19 in the trailer) and said, “Wait… so Orlando Bloom is playing TWO roles in this movie?”

She’s got a point, I think. It looks like both Legolas AND Will Turner are going to be in the film…

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Bluejay
Wed, Jun 12, 2013 1:08pm

Cue the Bard/Legolas slash fanfic…

Tony Richards
Tony Richards
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Wed, Jun 12, 2013 3:49pm

Usually you pay double for that kind of action.

Lowell Rapaport
Lowell Rapaport
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Thu, Jun 13, 2013 1:19am

legolas is still the prettiest.

MisterAntrobus
MisterAntrobus
reply to  Bluejay
Wed, Jun 12, 2013 6:10pm

I thought the very same thing upon getting my first glimpse of the character.

MisterAntrobus
MisterAntrobus
Wed, Jun 12, 2013 6:09pm

I’m glad someone else reacted similarly to me. Jackson’s Hobbit trilogy looks more and more like it could be his own version of the Star Wars prequels – overstuffed with frantic CG distractions, preoccupied with foreshadowing what’s to come rather than telling the story of what’s happening in the moment, burdened with leaden exposition, and generally a pale echo of what made the original films great. I hope to be proven wrong, but the first three hours really deflated my enthusiasm for this project.

Karl Morton IV
Karl Morton IV
reply to  MisterAntrobus
Wed, Jun 12, 2013 6:23pm

Cue the grumpy fan reaction! ;) I’m glad I’m too stupid to see what you guys are seeing.

AA
AA
Wed, Jun 12, 2013 9:10pm

I actually thought I had accidentally clicked on a LOTR trailer when this popped up on YouTube. But I’m not complaining! Bring it on! I can’t wait!

Thu, Jun 13, 2013 12:33pm

Yeah, it is all giving the impression Big for the sake of Big — but then I quite like The Hobbit as a change of pace from the epicness of The Lord of the Rings, while it seems fairly clear that this film is being made as more of the latter. I suppose it’s a valid vision, and I hope people will enjoy it; I fear I won’t be one of them.