who — if anyone — has emerged as an indisputable movie star since the year 2000?

walkfamestar

This week’s Question is stolen from my friend and fellow critic Ian Mantgani, who recently tweeted:

Fun challenge: Think of an indisputable film “star” who has emerged since the year 2000. Harder than u think. Is there one?

So there’s the challenge:

Who — if anyone — has emerged as a indisputable movie star since the year 2000?

A good working definition of “movie star”: someone who’s a household name even among those who don’t go to the movies much, and someone whose presence in a film is enough to get people talking about that movie (for better or worse). Indisputable movie stars who emerged pre-2000 (and who are still working today) are folks such as Tom Hanks, George Clooney, Meryl Streep, and Sandra Bullock.

We’re nearly 15 years into the century — it shouldn’t be so hard to think of names to fill this roster. But the only one I can think of, potentially, is Daniel Radcliffe… but only because of Harry Potter, and Harry Potter is still more famous than he is. There are plenty of interesting young actors — we had no trouble filling out a list of them back in August — but I don’t think we can reasonably call any of them actual movie stars.

There’s been a lot of talk about the end of “movie stars”: that big names no longer open movies, for instance. Is that why we can’t think of any names here? Or is something else going on?

(If you have a suggestion for a Question, feel free to email me.)

Karl Morton IV
Karl Morton IV
Mon, Oct 28, 2013 10:02am

Maybe we’ve gotten over the limiting “movie star” thing and actors can be actors of varying degrees of success?

Davey
Mon, Oct 28, 2013 10:14am

Robert Downey Jr has become a household name thanks to the Iron Man series.

Davey
Mon, Oct 28, 2013 10:19am

Angelina Jolie is another one, career didn’t go stratospheric until the Lara Croft films.

Davey
Mon, Oct 28, 2013 10:19am

How about Jennifer Lawrence?

singlestick
singlestick
reply to  Davey
Mon, Oct 28, 2013 7:13pm

I heartily concur with your nod to Jennifer Lawrence. Also agree with others about Christian Bale, Amy Adams. And maybe Hugh Jackman. Yeah, and Robert Downey Jr, who has been around, but now is definitely a recognizable star. Benedict Cumberbatch and possibly Idris Elba are also “up and coming” by this standard. Stars, not just good actors.

Davey
Mon, Oct 28, 2013 10:25am

Or Christian Bale with American Psycho (2000). Or Channing Tatum (probably Dear John in 2010). Or Hugh Jackman (X-Men, 2000). Or Bradley Cooper (The Hanover, 2009).

Rebecca Dalmas
Rebecca Dalmas
Mon, Oct 28, 2013 11:16am

Carey Mulligan. Bradley Cooper. Kelly Reilly, Clive Owen, Ryan Gosling, Joseph Gordon-Leavitt, Amy Adams, Judi Dench. Many already had established careers, but it wasn’t till the 2000s that they began to be seen as cinematic stars.

reply to  Rebecca Dalmas
Mon, Oct 28, 2013 2:31pm

Who is Kelly Reilly?

Rebecca Dalmas
Rebecca Dalmas
reply to  althea
Tue, Oct 29, 2013 8:58am

Is this a rhetorical question? ;)

Cautia
Cautia
reply to  Rebecca Dalmas
Tue, Oct 29, 2013 9:16am

I would say, probably not. I had no idea who she was, and after looking her up on Wikipedia, I still have little idea who she is. I wouldn’t call her a household name, at least not in the US.

Rebecca Dalmas
Rebecca Dalmas
reply to  Cautia
Tue, Oct 29, 2013 9:38am

Well to a mere offscreen mortal like me, she has “star quality” and has appeared as a leading lady onscreen, hence why I consider her a movie star.

Reservoir bitch
Reservoir bitch
reply to  Rebecca Dalmas
Thu, Oct 31, 2013 2:54pm

Yes, but we’re talking about a household name, that’s what a star is. Everyone knows Will Smith, yet most people would have no idea who the actors on your list are, except maybe for Clive Owen. We’re not talking about actors appreciated by film lovers, we’re talking about people everyone knows about, including the very casual movie-goer.

Rebecca Dalmas
Rebecca Dalmas
reply to  Reservoir bitch
Thu, Oct 31, 2013 4:26pm

I guess I’m taking the contrarian position, then, challenging the assumed definition by going with this one: someone who appears in a leading role in cinema who does so exceptionally well. As for me I think that is a better useful definition, atleast if we want to see more movies with exceptional leads, which we would more likely see if we talked about “these” stars, like MJ appears to be making an effort to do on this site, in addition to the other exceptional contributers to film: directors, screenwriters, supporting cast, and so forth.

Reservoir bitch
Reservoir bitch
reply to  Rebecca Dalmas
Thu, Oct 31, 2013 4:31pm

I don’t disagree with you, but this still does not refer to “stars”. The concept of star reflects an exceptional level of popularity. I definitely agree that our culture should move away from star worshipping and focus instead on quality, skill, etc. However, in this case we are not talking about “stars”, but great/charismatic actors.

reply to  Rebecca Dalmas
Tue, Oct 29, 2013 4:12pm

No. Who is she?

Rebecca Dalmas
Rebecca Dalmas
reply to  althea
Tue, Oct 29, 2013 10:07pm

She played the lead female role opposite Denzel Washington in Flight, very impressively, her first leading role was in a British horror film in 2008, played one of the costars in the French film L’Auberge Espagnole and its sequel Les Poupees Russes: She was also an acclaimed actress and star of the British stage and television. She also played Carolyn Bingley perfectly in P&P in 2005–extra points…

Jurgan
Jurgan
Mon, Oct 28, 2013 1:21pm

Johnny Depp used to be a quirky character actor, but since Pirates he has become a headliner.

reply to  Jurgan
Mon, Oct 28, 2013 2:29pm

Has Johnny Depp really only been a big star since Pirates? It seems to me he’s been visible/bankable ever since 21 Jump Street, Edward Scissorhands, Don Juan DeMarco, Sleepy Hollow, etc. But maybe that’s just me.

Captain_Swing666
Captain_Swing666
Mon, Oct 28, 2013 1:28pm

Jean Dujardin? Daniel Craig? Jason Statham?

Davey
reply to  Captain_Swing666
Mon, Oct 28, 2013 2:24pm

Jean Dujardin? Really? Not exactly Tom Cruise.

reply to  Davey
Mon, Oct 28, 2013 2:31pm

Who is he?

Captain_Swing666
Captain_Swing666
reply to  althea
Sat, Nov 02, 2013 1:06pm

Best Actor Oscar winner 2012

Sorry did you mean only American actors could apply?

reply to  Captain_Swing666
Sat, Nov 02, 2013 2:35pm

Oh, sorry, I didn”t recognize him from all the other worldwide major motion pictures he’s starred in.

But seriously, among the non-Americans already mentioned we have Daniel Craig, Hugh Jackman, Judi Dench, and Christian Bale. None from non-English-speaking countries, true, but that’s the movie industry for you. The industry is overwhelmingly dominated by Hollywood, and the idea of a household name emerging from outside the system is unlikely, more’s the pity. Further, given the elements we’ve been discussing – including that “big names no longer open pictures”, as MaryAnne suggested, it’s even harder to achieve household name status.

DuJardin didn’t win that Oscar on popularity and he couldn’t open that picture – which also earned its Oscar recognition on quality, not popularity – based on his name.

Mon, Oct 28, 2013 2:25pm

I’d add Russell Crowe (since Gladiator in 2000).

“A household name even among those who don’t go to the movies much” is a high bar to clear (and rightly so). My personal test would be: Is this actor someone my parents have heard of (or whose face they could immediately picture, just upon being mentioned)? And would this actor’s presence in a film be sufficient reason for my parents to consider seeing it? By that standard, many of the suggestions in the comments (Jason Statham, Carey Mulligan, Ryan Gosling, Kelly Reilly, Channing Tatum, even Joseph Gordon-Levitt or Bradley Cooper) wouldn’t pass muster.

I agree on Daniel Craig, Hugh Jackman, Robert Downey Jr, Angelina Jolie.

I think it’s true that “star power” is no longer sufficient to get people (well, at least me) to see a movie. I won’t see every movie that Daniel Craig or RDJ or Tom Cruise or George Clooney is in. The film has to have more going for it than just “this person is in it.”

reply to  Bluejay
Mon, Oct 28, 2013 2:47pm

You’ve said what I was thinking, on all counts. “Household name” has to go beyond your personal household and those of your peer group. It also involves getting your name recognized outside of the movies you’ve starred in. JDJ was surely recognized earlier than 2000, but in large part for getting drunk, high, and arrested, but at least it kept his name out there until he could get himself on Ally McBeal. Likewise, Angelina Jolie has been busy outside of her career, for activities that earned her the attention of the general public. (Compare with Paris Hilton and company.)

I think Joseph Gordon-Levitt could be a household name in another 10 years or so. Our parents won’t likely have noticed him, but the maturing audience will have absorbed him. Likely Bradley Cooper too, if he continues his momentum.

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
Mon, Oct 28, 2013 7:09pm

Here are a few: Hugh Jackman, Daniel Craig, James Franco, Anne Hathaway, Angelina Jolie, Scarlett Johannson

Elwood72
Elwood72
Mon, Oct 28, 2013 7:21pm

I guess it depends on what makes someone an indisputable movie star, and whether their first film had to be after 2000, or just their stardom. My first thought was Scarlett Johannson, who’s an indisputable movie star, but she started acting pretty young and did have some roles in the 90s. I wouldn’t think having a role in “Home Alone 3” made her a “star” at the time . . .

reply to  Elwood72
Tue, Oct 29, 2013 4:18pm

Right. I’d guess most of these names have been in films before 2000, including major films, but they didn’t warrant notice until they had developed their skill and worked their way up past 3rd banana status.

Steve Taylor
Steve Taylor
Mon, Oct 28, 2013 8:08pm

Amy Adams was completely unknown until “Junebug” (2002). Bradley Cooper likewise has no film credits before 2000, and can certainly open a film these days.. Anne Hathaway’s debut was “Princess Diaries” (2001), so she certainly qualifies. I think many of the others mentioned – Depp (“Gilbert Grape,” “Ed Wood,” “Dead Man,” all before 2000), Downey (“Home for the Holidays,” 1995; Crowe (“Romper Stomper,” 1992) – were well known to cineastes, if not to the general public, before the century turned. Good question!

reply to  Steve Taylor
Tue, Oct 29, 2013 4:22pm

Re Anne Hathaway, you and Dr R are dead on. She’s big enough to be pursued by the press pretty much everywhere. And it makes me think of an element that could be added as cred for movie star status: You’re a fixture at the Oscars and in demand on red carpets.

AA
AA
Mon, Oct 28, 2013 11:07pm

Miley Cyrus? Chris Hemsworth? Tom Hiddleston? Joss Whedon? Nathan Fillion?

I can’t really tell — Miley seems to have by far the biggest household recognition (i.e. my grandmother knows who she is) and the other four might just be my hetero-female side showing. I totally agree with everyone on Dr. Rocketscience’s list.

Patrick
Patrick
reply to  AA
Thu, Oct 31, 2013 12:40pm

Miley Virus is not an actor fool, she’s never been in a movie and she still wore nappies in 2000.

reply to  Patrick
Thu, Oct 31, 2013 12:57pm

Yes, she has been in movies.

Kirk Aplin
Kirk Aplin
reply to  Bluejay
Thu, Oct 31, 2013 2:34pm

Being in the movies makes one neither an actor nor a star

reply to  Kirk Aplin
Thu, Oct 31, 2013 2:42pm

I never claimed otherwise.

Tony Richards
Tony Richards
Mon, Oct 28, 2013 11:16pm

I’m surprised no one mentioned Vin diesel yet.

Cautia
Cautia
Tue, Oct 29, 2013 9:25am

Hugh Jackman for sure, and maybe Jennifer Lawrence. Steve Carell, Seth Rogen, and Chris Hemsworth are a few others who come to mind, though I suppose the more uncertain I am about someone the less fitting the label ‘indisputable’ is.

Paul Wartenberg
Tue, Oct 29, 2013 8:40pm

If you’re talking about an actor whose name you put on the marquee will bring people in regardless of the film, I’d probably suggest Will Smith. Problem with a lot of the films today is that the marquee name means less and the character – Batman, Iron Man, Biblo Baggins, Katniss, Wolverine – means more. And as we’re seeing with Batman, the actors are interchangeable.

reply to  Paul Wartenberg
Tue, Oct 29, 2013 8:47pm

Will Smith was a marquee name before 2000, though.

MisterAntrobus
MisterAntrobus
reply to  Bluejay
Tue, Oct 29, 2013 9:33pm

And did anybody actually pay to see After Earth?

MisterAntrobus
MisterAntrobus
Tue, Oct 29, 2013 9:37pm

Nobody’s mentioned Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart yet? I would venture to guess that many more people know who they are than have ever seen any of their movies. That seems to meet your key criterion.