what movies are you most looking forward to in 2014?

2014films

The films of 2013 are still very much the thing, with many awards contenders yet to open outside New York and Los Angeles. But the calendar has turned, a new year is here, and it’s a good time to look ahead, too. So:

What movies are you most looking forward to in 2014?

Here’s some potentially exciting titles to get your geek on (vaguely in order of release as currently scheduled for North America):

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1
Horrible Bosses 2
Annie
The Hobbit: There and Back Again
Into the Woods
Night at the Museum 3

(That’s not an all-inclusive list, obviously.)

My picks: The Monuments Men, because it looks like a great heist flick combined with a great WWII flick; The Grand Budapest Hotel, because Wes Anderson; Godzilla, because I can’t wait to see what Gareth Edwards does with a budget; Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, because the first film was so unexpectedly amazing; and Interstellar, because I’ll follow Christopher Nolan anywhere.

You?

(If you have a suggestion for a Question, feel free to email me.)

Zops
Zops
Mon, Jan 06, 2014 12:25pm

I dont see Need For Speed in the list. Is nobody excited for that? Strange

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Zops
Mon, Jan 06, 2014 1:18pm

As I said, the list is not a comprehensive rundown of everything scheduled for release this year. If you’re psyched for *Need for Speed,* awesome.

MarkyD
reply to  Zops
Mon, Jan 06, 2014 6:34pm

Is there a reason anyone should be excited over a video game movie? They don’t exactly have a history of excellence.

The Dude
The Dude
Mon, Jan 06, 2014 1:26pm

I’m looking forward to Transcendence and Into The Woods mostly.

Kathy_A
Kathy_A
Mon, Jan 06, 2014 2:04pm

Definitely Monuments Men, and also Captain America 2. I did not know that there was a movie coming out for Into the Woods (that is the same Into the Woods that Sondheim wrote, right?), so I’m now excited for that one, too!
Princes wait there / In the world / It’s true / Princes, yes / But wolves and humans, too / Stay at home / I am home…

Jurgan
Jurgan
Mon, Jan 06, 2014 3:39pm

Definitely Captain America, and probably Veronica Mars. And they’re finally making another Sin City? I wonder if it’ll be any good after this long. There was a rumor for a long time that it would star Angelina Jolie, but the role she was considered for required a lot of nudity, so after her surgery I doubt she’d be able to do that.

Emily
Emily
Mon, Jan 06, 2014 5:59pm

Vampire Academy and Amazing Spider-Man 2

Mon, Jan 06, 2014 6:17pm

I like the Marvel movies, so I’m looking forward to Captain America: The Winter Soldier (directed by the Russos, who shot so many great episodes of Community) and Guardians of the Galaxy (which promises to be all kinds of nuts). I also loved the first How to Train Your Dragon so am looking forward to the sequel.

And I’ll second Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, both because the first film was unexpectedly amazing and because the trailer for this one is absolutely effin’ perfect.

MarkyD
Mon, Jan 06, 2014 6:33pm

I really don’t get excited for ANY movie until it gets closer. And even then, I temper my enthusiasm until reviews start to show up. No use getting jazzed over a shitty movie.
That being said, the movies I have interest in at this point are:

How to Train Your Dragon 2
new Nolan flik
Winter Soldier
Days of Future Past
aaaaaaand that’s about it. I’m sure this will change as each movie is released. Plus all the little indies that no one expects.

Jim Mann
Jim Mann
Mon, Jan 06, 2014 7:20pm

Monuments Men, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and Godzilla are the three I’m most looking forward to.

I have mixed feelings about the new Planet of the Apes film. I thought the first half of the last film was amazing, but the second half, while entertaining, was less so.

LaurieMann
reply to  Jim Mann
Sat, Jan 25, 2014 2:13pm

I agree with you on Monuments Men, but, the movie I’m looking forward to the most is Foxcatcher, which was bumped from this year. My reason is purely selfish – unless it’s been edited out, I have a line or two dissing Channing Tatum at a political fundraiser set in about 1984. Steve Carrell is genuinely creepy in this movie, playing a rich guy paying for the training of wrestlers for the Olympics, and the wonderful Mark Ruffalo is in it too, playing Tatum’s older brother.

T-Rex
T-Rex
Mon, Jan 06, 2014 11:34pm

Godzilla and X-Men: DOFP are the ones i’m most excited for.

Winter
Winter
Tue, Jan 07, 2014 1:05am

Yeah, “Interstellar” for sure.

Tue, Jan 07, 2014 9:58am

Monuments Men, Snowpiercer (may be cheese, but has a great cast), Chinese Zodiac, Grand Budapest Hotel, Only Lovers Left Alive. Not so much “excited” (I don’t do that any more, too disappointing when it wasn’t worth it) as “will definitely give these a look”.

Danielm80
Danielm80
Tue, Jan 07, 2014 11:54am

I can’t say I’m excited about any of these. I kind of want to combine the movies and have the Muppets fight vampires or have Annie take on Godzilla. And I’d definitely watch nymphomaniac X-Men. All of the films would, of course, be musicals.

I’m cautiously looking forward to Veronica Mars.

Guest

Mike
Thu, Jan 09, 2014 12:02pm

THE EXPENDABLES 3 !!!!!

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
Thu, Jan 09, 2014 10:48pm

In looking at the The Congress’s imdb page, it seems to claim that it was already released in 2013 because it was at festivals. That’s not a release. Any chance that’s getting theatrical release in 2014?

AddThreeAndFive
AddThreeAndFive
Fri, Jan 10, 2014 11:33pm

Mr. Peabody & Sherman. The trailer is pretty funny, and I really want the movie to do well.