Mon, Mar 17, 2014 12:45pm

Various people who’ve seen previews swear there’s more to this than “hot babe kills men in a variety of disgusting ways”, so I’m trying to keep an open mind.

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  RogerBW
Mon, Mar 17, 2014 9:24pm

I’ve seen the film.

reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Mon, Mar 17, 2014 9:47pm

Oh well.

(Yeah, I know I come over as kind of cynical when I’m commenting here, but every time a film is bad I’m disappointed. Film can be good, can be fun and thought-provoking and exciting. Every film could be good. But instead we get millions of dollars spent on something that nobody, certainly not the cast or the crew, really cares about — except the brainwashed suckers who rush in here when some other site tells them that their precious film has got a less-than-perfect review.)

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  RogerBW
Mon, Mar 17, 2014 10:47pm

Oh, but this film is Art. With a capital A. Everybody who worked on it cared about it. Sometimes, that makes the whole situation worse.

CB
CB
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Tue, Mar 18, 2014 12:12am

Oh no!

Karl Morton IV
Karl Morton IV
Mon, Mar 17, 2014 10:14pm

“Species” in Scotland?

(Haven’t been able to play the trailer yet due to technical issues.)

Beowulf
Beowulf
Tue, Mar 18, 2014 2:27pm

“Every film could be good.” Impossible. As Theodore Sturgeon once famously said, “Yes, 90% of SF is crap….but, then, 90% of everything is crap.” Heaven and Hell cannot exist without the other.

Karl Morton IV
Karl Morton IV
reply to  Beowulf
Tue, Mar 18, 2014 4:04pm

A possibility cannot be impossible.

Was it Sturgeon who said the 90% thing? I thought it was Harlan Ellison – either way, it is hardly a factual statement. Bringing theology into it elevates the discussion to even more peculiar places…..

Beowulf
Beowulf
reply to  Karl Morton IV
Tue, Mar 18, 2014 5:26pm

I meant it less as theology than saying that it is difficult to say something is good or bad without having something to compare it to. I met Sturgeon in the ’70s when he was a guest at our convention and he said it.

Karl Morton IV
Karl Morton IV
reply to  Beowulf
Wed, Mar 19, 2014 7:57am

I gotta write that down. I always associate the really grumpy aphorismy stuff with Ellison. LOL!

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Beowulf
Wed, Mar 19, 2014 8:47am

But any film *could* be part of the not-crap 90 percent.

lescarr
Tue, Mar 18, 2014 2:40pm

I read the book this weekend and plan to see the film as a result. (Slight spoilers ahead.)

The book is not erotic (but it is physical). It’s not particularly horrific – any more than factory farming is horrific, and that’s kind of the point: what cruelty do you accommodate, whose misogyny do you overlook and who gets to be called “human”? I hope that the film is as bleak as the book.