Wed, Aug 19, 2015 3:42pm
Danielm80
Danielm80
reply to  Bluejay
Wed, Aug 19, 2015 4:03pm

I particularly like this paragraph:

I’m not saying “boycott Straight Outta Compton,” nor am I saying “don’t buy any more music by any of the members of N.W.A.” I’m saying listen to what these women have to say. I’m saying remember that this happened, because it’s in remembering that patterns emerge, harmful behaviors are recognized, and changes can begin to be made. I’m saying discuss this with people, because it’s difficult for horrible behavior to survive or continue with a spotlight on it. Thankfully, the women involved in the aforementioned violence have recently come out to tell their own stories, and it’s important that we all pay attention.

It kind of describes my reaction to End of the Tour, a great film about David Foster Wallace that says very little about his disturbing history with women.

reply to  Danielm80
Wed, Aug 19, 2015 4:18pm

Women keep getting erased from history and deemed unimportant to the story. As MAJ says so often and so justly, Fuck that shit.

Wed, Aug 19, 2015 5:04pm

Picked this up in an io9 sidebar this morning, wondered if you were going to run it. I saw an early review suggesting that one good thing about this film was that it didn’t try to turn its subjects into saints; I guess it did, but started lower.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
Thu, Aug 20, 2015 10:43pm

So, it was the director’s decision to cut that out http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-straight-outta-compton-once-showed-dr-dre-assualting-dee-barnes-20150819-story.html

Shame. He also did Set it Off. I’d have thought someone who directed that would not shy away from leaving in the abuse in the history.

reply to  LaSargenta
Thu, Aug 20, 2015 11:47pm

According to the article MAJ links to, F. Gary Gray was the cameraman for the report that angered Dre and for which he assaulted Dee Barnes. She thinks Gray skipped over that event because he’s uncomfortable with his own part in that history.

Thera Pitts
Thera Pitts
Mon, Aug 24, 2015 2:25am

This is like the opposite of Jimi: All is by My Side, which just threw in a domestic abuse subplot that never happened for shits and giggles.