Tue, Nov 17, 2015 4:49pm

Cultural recycling is down to 15 years? I’d thought it was worse than that.

I think this is an inevitable consequence of filmmaking being variable and big money.

althea
althea
Tue, Nov 17, 2015 5:22pm

“Memento has been consistently ranked as one of the best films of its decade. People who’ve seen Memento
10 times still feel they need to see it one more time. This is a
quality that we feel really supports and justifies a remake.”

This reasoning is ludicrous. By this standard, Casablanca should have been remade 5 times, and yet it hasn’t. I can’t think of a musical that’s been remade although The Sound of Music and The Wizard of Oz are TV staples. (Not counting the stage version on NBC last year.) Any Hitchcock. Any James Bond. Gladiator. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Good lord, Harry Potter’s in line!

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
reply to  althea
Wed, Nov 18, 2015 2:34am

By this standard, Casablanca should have been remade 5 times, and yet it hasn’t

I believe it has been remade once — but not for the big screen and anyway, that version is about well-remembered as the High Noon remake that was once attempted by one of the TV networks.

For that matter, The Wizard of Oz was remade as The Wiz both on Broadway and on the big screen. And can’t the upcoming Wicked movie be considered a remake as well?. If not, I must be missing something.

As for Hitchcock, he gets remade all the time — both officially (the notorious Gus Van Sant remake of Psycho, for example) and unofficially (for example, Brian DePalma’s Sisters is loosely based on Rear Window, Dressed to Kill owes a lot to Psycho and Body Double is a thinly disguised remake of Vertigo.)

That said, I see no pressing need to remake Memento at this time. But then I saw no pressing need to remake Carrie. Or Dawn of the Dead. Or Halloween

althea
althea
reply to  Tonio Kruger
Wed, Nov 18, 2015 3:56pm

I don’t consider “loosely based on” as a remake, although “based on” can indeed be a euphemism for it. The Wiz – nah, I wouldn’t say it’s a remake (“newer, better update for today’s modern sensibilities”) so much as an “inspired by”. It’s got the plot details, but didn’t aspire to compete with the original.

I purposely didn’t include horror and action movies because they beg for remakes by producers who want to do it bigger and louder – gorier, scarier, more shocking, I’ll-show-you who’s the master of horror…

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
reply to  althea
Thu, Nov 19, 2015 2:46am

Fair enough.

That said, doesn’t the recent version of Annie count as a remake of a musical or should I consider it to be in the same category as The Wiz? And what about — ahem — the two versions of Footloose? (Yes, I’d rather pretend there was only one version of that movie but the second version does exist.)

althea
althea
reply to  Tonio Kruger
Thu, Nov 19, 2015 3:09pm

Excellent question re Annie. It could go either way. (And apparently will keep going.)

There was another version of Footloose?

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
reply to  althea
Fri, Nov 20, 2015 5:31am

There was a Footloose remake released in 2011. According to MaryAnn’s review, it was not really worth seeing but unfortunately, it does exist.

althea
althea
reply to  Tonio Kruger
Fri, Nov 20, 2015 2:55pm

As I say: There was another version of Footloose?

reply to  althea
Fri, Nov 20, 2015 3:32pm

The only alternate version of Footloose I will accept would have the Flight of the Conchords in it.

Danielm80
Danielm80
reply to  Bluejay
Fri, Nov 20, 2015 3:36pm

I won’t have a chance to watch this till I’m in a less public place, but I’m “upvoting” it just on principle.

Tue, Nov 17, 2015 7:27pm

Maybe they’re planning on turning it into a musical, scored by Peter Gabriel.

Aaron Jones
Aaron Jones
reply to  Bluejay
Tue, Nov 24, 2015 9:06pm

I’ve always loved this song and video.