Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
Wed, Feb 24, 2016 12:11am

Really? I mean, that wasn’t even a particularly good example of a “How is this still a thing” on Oliver’s show. And the “HITSAT” segments are always filler, going after low hanging fruit, to begin with. Ugh, the internet is just so easily impressed with anything shiny, and John Oliver, funny and insightful as Last Week Tonight can sometimes be, has really become the internet’s latest shiny thing.

Danielm80
Danielm80
reply to  Dr. Rocketscience
Wed, Feb 24, 2016 11:33am

This is not a great example of comedy, but the message is still worth repeating, because a lot of people still aren’t getting it, no matter how many times they hear it.

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
Wed, Feb 24, 2016 5:40pm

Everything has been said before, but since nobody was listening, we have to keep going back and starting over.
–André Gide

MaryAnn Johanson
MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Tonio Kruger
Wed, Feb 24, 2016 9:17pm

Funny how people only mostly hear when it’s man talking, though.

Hank Graham
Hank Graham
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Wed, Feb 24, 2016 10:27pm

I dunno, MaryAnn. On the one hand I’m totally with you in that he did NOT, in fact, say anything new. On the other hand, at least it finally got heard.

By the same token, why did it take a male comedian making a joke about Bill Cosby’s rapes before the culture woke up to them?

leah
leah
reply to  Hank Graham
Thu, Feb 25, 2016 1:15am

Doesn’t MaryAnn’s comment to which you’ve responded here answer this very question?

Danielm80
Danielm80
reply to  leah
Thu, Feb 25, 2016 2:52am

That’s why he said, “By the same token….”

I’d like to think that when a message gets repeated often enough, bits of it start to filter through. Jesse Jackson tried to boycott the Oscars in 1996, and the protest had almost no impact. Twenty years later, AMPAS is starting to make some minimal changes.

Maybe twenty years from now, people will pay attention when a female comedian talks about rape.

leah
leah
reply to  Danielm80
Thu, Feb 25, 2016 4:38am

Maybe.
(I read Hank’s comment and the “By the same token” bit just flew right over my head so my bad, I’ve had very little sleep and comprehension skills are slow haha)

leah
leah
reply to  Hank Graham
Thu, Feb 25, 2016 4:40am

As per below, my miscomprehension so please disregard my post, silly moi.

MaryAnn Johanson
MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Hank Graham
Thu, Feb 25, 2016 8:28am

Yes, that is exactly the same token, and it’s infuriating.