subscribe
notify of
3 Comments
oldest
newest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
view all comments
Bluejay
Bluejay
Wed, Apr 13, 2016 10:47pm

Very interesting article. I did find it heartening that only 2% of comments on the Guardian had been blocked, which I suppose means the other 98% contributed to (or at least did not detract from) civil conversation.

I also took their “allow or block” test and was surprised to find that I allowed several comments that they blocked — the ones that may have voiced offensive views but did not directly attack the author. I guess the challenge is where to draw the line. We shouldn’t allow abuse to derail the conversation or be personally hurtful to anyone (online or IRL), but it’s also useful (and democratic) to have a diversity of views — even unpleasant ones that it might be good to expose and challenge in the light of day.

Danielm80
Danielm80
reply to  Bluejay
Thu, Apr 14, 2016 1:38am

I have a certain amount of sympathy for people who are trying to make a logical, reasoned argument, even when they’re obviously not capable of doing it.

Unfortunately, that’s how I end up stuck in discussions with Tim1984.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
Wed, Apr 13, 2016 11:29pm

Yup. Thank you bronxbee.