from Facebook: teasers for trailers before trailers because no one can be bothered to watch anything anymore

Fri, May 13, 2016 9:03pm

“Look! Marketable faces!” Well, if that’s really all it takes to drag someone into the cinema…

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  RogerBW
Sat, May 14, 2016 7:39pm

The thing is, though, is anyone who is so young and restless that watching a two-minute trailer is an imposition going to be interested in a Tom Hanks movie. He’s like the granddad of those people.

reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Sat, May 14, 2016 8:24pm

Doesn’t matter if they hate it, as long as they pay?

I don’t know. Marketing people are often wrong, but their employment largely depends on being seen to be Doing Something, so it doesn’t really matter if they’re wrong as long as they keep changing stuff.

LA Julian
LA Julian
reply to  RogerBW
Wed, May 25, 2016 9:36pm

Not a new phenomenon — I was reading about it in the trades in the early Nineties, completely befuddled at the idea of Coca-Cola and Budweiser spending billions on campaigns and then dropping them, without doing any tracking research on results let alone what people were or weren’t responding to…

LA Julian
LA Julian
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Wed, May 25, 2016 9:35pm

It reads/reeks of “what can we do to appeal to these kids who won’t get off our lawn AND have money to spend? I know, Kids These Days Like X!, we’ll put X! in an advertisment!”

In other words, a day ending in Y at Pym’s Publicity, Ltd…

Fri, May 13, 2016 10:01pm

The article was tl;dr. I just skimmed your headline and got all the info I needed. ;-)

But seriously: I wonder if this is also a way to have the trailer as a YouTube ad and communicate all the necessary info before the “Skip This Ad” button appears.

CParis
CParis
reply to  Bluejay
Sat, May 14, 2016 1:52am

You have the correct answer. Longer ads (time before skip button) cost more. Companies spend the big bucks when you have to watch the full 30s ad before viewing your content.

Owen1120
Owen1120
Fri, May 13, 2016 11:10pm

I saw three of these at a recent screening of Civil War: Central Intelligence, The Secret Life of Pets, and The Shallows.