Sun, Jul 24, 2016 5:12pm

To me it felt mostly like traps avoided rather than positive things done, but superheroes don’t really ring bells for me anyway.

Does the WWI setting not make it more difficult to work WW into the spaghetti-continuity of DC films? And easier to forget about her if the film isn’t the biggest hit ever?

Danielm80
Danielm80
reply to  RogerBW
Sun, Jul 24, 2016 6:39pm

Is spaghetti-continuity an expression I don’t know or an original RogerBW coinage? I assume it involves throwing stuff against the wall.

reply to  Danielm80
Sun, Jul 24, 2016 7:15pm

The latter.

The basic idea that in order to understand what’s going on in this film, you really need to have seen that film and that other film and so on.
Obviously Marvel’s doing more of this, as they have more films.

reply to  RogerBW
Sun, Jul 24, 2016 10:43pm

Well, she’s apparently immortal, so she can theoretically show up in DC continuity anywhere on the timeline, from WWI onward.

reply to  Bluejay
Sun, Jul 24, 2016 10:54pm

Fair enough; thanks. It’s still harder work to say that 2019’s film happens before 2018’s film which happens after 2017’s film than just to make them in the same order as the narrated events happen.

Ben Russell-Gough
Ben Russell-Gough
reply to  RogerBW
Mon, Jul 25, 2016 3:53pm

From what I’ve seen, the Wonder Woman film is going to be stand alone. HOWEVER we don’t know if plot devices like the Mother Boxes will end up in the film (much like the Infinity Gems unexpectedly turned out to be a central keystone to the first Captain America film).

Tonio Kruger
Tue, Aug 02, 2016 2:23am

I must admit I liked this trailer better than the Ghostbusters trailer — though it is funny to read comments about it after all the comments on another thread about how meaningless movie trailers are.

I give the filmmakers credit for at least trying to do something new with the Wonder Woman legend apart from giving us yet another “WW vs the Nazis” storyline like the 1970s TV show gave us. Whether they’ll succeed or not, of course, is something I can’t tell at this point.

reply to  Tonio Kruger
Tue, Aug 02, 2016 2:37am

It’s interesting how similar WW’s storyline is to Captain America’s in some respects: a red-blue-and-stars-wearing, shield-wielding warrior against the Nazis who later winds up fighting alongside other superheroes in the present day. Maybe the shift to World War I was intended to lessen that similarity a bit.