Nathan
Nathan
Tue, Aug 09, 2016 1:42pm

What are your thoughts on Last Week Tonight? John Oliver and team seem to do pretty good overviews on their chosen topics.

MaryAnn Johanson
MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Nathan
Tue, Aug 09, 2016 7:58pm

I’ve never seen an actual episode (though I do have an HBO Now subscription). There’s just no time.

Nathan
Nathan
Tue, Aug 09, 2016 1:46pm

Newspapers should get on crowdfunding, I’d pay $10 a month to keep a quality paper going.

reply to  Nathan
Tue, Aug 09, 2016 2:21pm

I’d pay $10 a month to keep a quality paper going.

How about a quality film review site? (If you aren’t already.)

MaryAnn Johanson
MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Bluejay
Tue, Aug 09, 2016 7:57pm

I can assure you that the vast majority of the people reading this site are *not* subscribers.

reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Tue, Aug 09, 2016 9:22pm

Yeah, I’m just trying to nudge. Especially when a commenter has said that they’d happily pay for quality content. :-)

Nathan
Nathan
reply to  Bluejay
Sat, Aug 13, 2016 3:09am

I am a subscriber. This is the site I throw at people who think Hollywood is pandering to “SJWs,” maybe 1 out of 100 will realize how silly they’re being.

OnceJolly
OnceJolly
reply to  Nathan
Tue, Aug 09, 2016 7:25pm

Most local papers I’m familiar with offer digital subscriptions at a discounted rate. However, the advertisers prefer the printed product, as there is a greater chance readers will see the ads.

MaryAnn Johanson
MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  OnceJolly
Tue, Aug 09, 2016 7:57pm

But ad revenue has plummeted, so the advertisers are not paying anywhere near what they used to.

OnceJolly
OnceJolly
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Tue, Aug 09, 2016 8:36pm

Not inconsistent with what I’ve written. Ad revenue for newspapers is falling because the print circulations are down and it’s much easier to circumvent the ads in digital form.