Mon, Aug 07, 2017 2:24am

An earlier piece by the equally indispensable Roxane Gay, covering some of the same ground, is also very good:

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Bluejay
Tue, Aug 08, 2017 10:39pm

Gay is also awesome generally and in this piece.

thisplaceisshit
thisplaceisshit
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Mon, Aug 14, 2017 10:30am

Gay is a sexual preference, its not awesome or un-awesome however with people with so little in their lives it becomes their crux of who they are.

Danielm80
Danielm80
Wed, Aug 09, 2017 11:30am

I was just listening to this song on the radio:

A few years ago, I would have thought, “That’s kind of melodramatic. Couldn’t he have been a little more subtle?”

A lot of the people I know who aren’t white would have said, “No, that’s about right.”

I miss the days when I could be that naive.

reply to  Danielm80
Wed, Aug 09, 2017 1:05pm

So, the country version of Macklemore, then:

It’s nice that white artists are trying to open the eyes of their white audiences. It would be even nicer if white audiences listened to artists of color, who have been saying these things since forever.

Danielm80
Danielm80
reply to  Bluejay
Wed, Aug 09, 2017 1:14pm

We can make fun of Macklemore for being behind the times, but he’s ahead of several members of the Supreme Court.

reply to  Danielm80
Wed, Aug 09, 2017 1:36pm

Oh, I’m not making fun of him. Artists like him speak from their own vantage point and are at least trying to make things better. I’m giving the side-eye to the outsided attention they get from press and audiences who should have been listening to the POC who’ve been saying this all along. (See also: men who get praised for speaking out on feminist issues that women have already been pointing out forever.)

reply to  Bluejay
Wed, Aug 09, 2017 1:38pm

*outsized, not outsided.

Danielm80
Danielm80
reply to  Bluejay
Wed, Aug 09, 2017 3:39pm

If you’re not making fun of Macklemore, you’re probably the only one. I was making fun of myself, though, and later the Supreme Court.