curated: Brie Larson wants more diverse film critics; white dudes unhappy

See the replies to this tweet for many examples of white dudes incensed (yet again) to learn that their perspectives are not the universal neutral default, and aren’t automatically impressive or authoritative.

Fri, Jun 15, 2018 4:30am

Oh Captain my Captain!

Danielm80
Danielm80
reply to  Bluejay
Fri, Jun 15, 2018 1:24pm

You know the person who always ends up sitting in the row behind you in the movie theatre and can’t follow the plot, the person who keeps whispering, “Who is that guy? Why is he going in that building?” Much too often, I am that person.

I’ve read the Whitman poem. I’ve seen the terrible Robin Williams movie. I don’t see the connection to this article. Can you help me out?

reply to  Danielm80
Fri, Jun 15, 2018 1:36pm
Tonio Kruger
Fri, Jun 15, 2018 5:29pm

I can’t help but wonder what women like Jennifer Beals and Rashida Jones think about the movie.

reply to  Tonio Kruger
Fri, Jun 15, 2018 7:06pm

What do you mean? Why those two names in particular, and what do they have to do with A Wrinkle in Time?

Beals loved it, fyi.

Tonio Kruger
reply to  Bluejay
Fri, Jun 15, 2018 7:27pm

Ms. Larson’s quote in full suggests that she is more interested in what a biracial girl thinks about the movie than what a “70-year-old white dude” thinks about it.

Ms. Beals and Ms. Jones, of course, are biracial which means that they are obviously more apt to have first-hand knowledge of what biracial girls would like to see than either Ms. Larson or your average 70-year-old white dude.

Btw, I’m glad Ms. Beals liked the movie.

reply to  Tonio Kruger
Fri, Jun 15, 2018 8:33pm

Okay, sure. But Beals and Jones aren’t professional critics. I’m sure it would benefit us to hear from more non-white, non-male CRITICS as well.

I don’t know how many identify as biracial, but here’s a list of female critics of color who would probably appreciate more visibility.