MaryAnn’s quick take: It’s a “critique” of misogyny that is outright misogynist, even before Men goes down a gorefest rabbit hole of infuriating contempt for women. What the hell is going on with this would-be-mythic mishmash? Read the review…
directed by women
Nude Tuesday movie review: nonsense, not quite inspired (Tribeca Film Festival 2022) - The wacky-yet-heartfelt comedy just about works; the gibberish dialogue, not so much. But this could be the makings of a crowdsourced cult fave, if playful viewers end up creating their own subtitles.
movies for the resistance
My So-Called Selfish Life documentary review: TFW you lack that certain “maternal instinct” - Dismantles myths about motherhood and misconceptions about child-free women with brisk, cheeky humor and intersectionality, and begins to build the cultural scripts we need for paths without kids.
Passing movie review: the realities and fallacies of race - Everything about this astonishing, just-plain-satisfying film feels like a revelation. Bone-deep subversive yet universal, dripping with a quiet dread yet also beautiful and beautifully wise.
- sorry for my absence, sick as a dog
- weekend watchlist: the plot to trick Hitler
- loaded question: what movie do you most associate with summer?
- weekend watchlist: a movie worth paying premium VOD prices for
- loaded question: is nostalgia out of control?
get all recent posts starting here
who is maryann, anyway?
- curated: Sarah Polley on Terry Gilliam is a masterclass in how brilliant men get away with their bullshit
- curated: why are movies and TV shows so muddy-looking these days?
- curated: why movie dialogue can be so difficult to hear nowadays
- curated: Oscar Isaac and Timothée Chalamet on playing father and son
- curated: say hello to photographer John Benton-Harris
- curated: the boy who was almost Anakin Skywalker
- curated: “Trailers Use Slower and Moodier New Versions of Classic Songs to Lure Viewers”
- curated: “Loki as Other: Why Do Queer and Female Viewers Love the Trickster?”
- curated: “Arctic thriller’s film crew struggled to find true frozen waste”
- curated: “The San Diego Comic-Con News Generator”