MaryAnn’s quick take: Idris Elba fights a lion. This is what we are promised with Beast, and this is what we get. The purity is sort of beautiful. But is it a failure of the movie, or a success, that it treats such nonsense earnestly? Read the review…
directed by women
Good Luck to You, Leo Grande movie review: come as you are - Full of honesty and humanity, utterly lacking in shame over a basic human need, the female experience of which is almost universally ignored onscreen. Light, funny, diverting. So why was I bawling?
movies for the resistance
My So-Called Selfish Life documentary review: TFW you lack that certain “maternal instinct” - Dismantles myths about motherhood and misconceptions about child-free women with brisk, cheeky humor and intersectionality, and begins to build the cultural scripts we need for paths without kids.
Passing movie review: the realities and fallacies of race - Everything about this astonishing, just-plain-satisfying film feels like a revelation. Bone-deep subversive yet universal, dripping with a quiet dread yet also beautiful and beautifully wise.
- I’ve temporarily paused all Substack, Patreon, and Paypal subscriptions
- weekend watchlist: is it good to be the queen?
- weekend watchlist: sweet, funny, frank pillow talk
- weekend watchlist: an all man-(and woman)-versus-beast(s), all both-sides-of-the-pond special
- RIP my mom
get all recent posts starting here
who is maryann, anyway?
- curated: Sarah Polley on Terry Gilliam is a masterclass in how brilliant men get away with their bullshit
- curated: why are movies and TV shows so muddy-looking these days?
- curated: why movie dialogue can be so difficult to hear nowadays
- curated: Oscar Isaac and Timothée Chalamet on playing father and son
- curated: say hello to photographer John Benton-Harris
- curated: the boy who was almost Anakin Skywalker
- curated: “Trailers Use Slower and Moodier New Versions of Classic Songs to Lure Viewers”
- curated: “Loki as Other: Why Do Queer and Female Viewers Love the Trickster?”
- curated: “Arctic thriller’s film crew struggled to find true frozen waste”
- curated: “The San Diego Comic-Con News Generator”