MaryAnn’s quick take: Monumental. With Dune, Denis Villeneuve tells a familiar story with uncommon elegance and pensiveness, even dreaminess, on a breathtaking scale. A stunningly gorgeous, supremely dignified movie about ugly things. Read the review…
the curmudgeonly movie lover’s unpleasant Advent calendarDecember 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24
London Film Festival
Cop Secret movie review: cold fuzz (#LFF2021) - Absolutely hilarious Icelandic sendup of action buddy cop movies. Knowing, sneaky, and deliciously deadpan, upending toxic masculinity and elevating the usual subtext of the genre to the overt text.
movies for the resistance
The Body Fights Back documentary review: food for thought - Honest, compassionate, and very necessary, this is a provocation, a challenge to our individual and cultural preconceived notions about and neurotic relationships to food, weight, and body image.
classic film virgin
classic film virgin: The Outsiders: The Complete Novel (4K restoration) - The deep, honest emotion undercutting the performative toxic masculinity of these young men is beyond charming and vitally essential, but the melodramatic randomness of the plot ultimately lost me.
- loaded question: what’s your favorite bit of shocking movie dialogue?
- get a streaming recommendation for festive cheer in your in-box every day over the holiday season
- loaded question: What movie(s) do you regret watching?
- loaded question: which streaming services do you have regular access to… and watch regularly?
- I’m guesting on movie podcast Ribbon of Memes
get all recent posts starting here
who is maryann, anyway?
- curated: why movie dialogue can be so difficult to hear nowadays
- curated: Oscar Isaac and Timothée Chalamet on playing father and son
- curated: say hello to photographer John Benton-Harris
- curated: the boy who was almost Anakin Skywalker
- curated: “Trailers Use Slower and Moodier New Versions of Classic Songs to Lure Viewers”
- curated: “Loki as Other: Why Do Queer and Female Viewers Love the Trickster?”
- curated: “Arctic thriller’s film crew struggled to find true frozen waste”
- curated: “The San Diego Comic-Con News Generator”
- curated: “The Movies Are Back. But What Are Movies Now?“
- curated: “in defence of historical inaccuracy,” particularly re colorblind casting