MaryAnn’s quick take: A marvel of a sequel that smartly avoids any attempt to recapture the original, instead expanding its world in every way possible. A Quiet Place: Part II is brisk, crisp, efficient, and full of masterful sequences of suspense. Read the review…
My Octopus Teacher documentary review: out of the way, human (#Netflix) - This otherwise gorgeous nature documentary is marred by the banal self-therapy of its human protagonist... and he is nowhere near as interesting as the manic pixie dream octopus who changes his life.
movies for the resistance
Bank Job documentary review: culture jamming for fun and justice - Brilliantly tantalizing, bursting with creative enthusiasm and bouncy energy, this cheeky work of artistic activism is out to subvert our debt-driven economy. Who says smashing injustice can’t be fun?
on vod in us
Infinite movie review: whoa no (#ParamountPlus) - Knee-jerk clichés abound in a shameless retread of The Matrix in which many levels of storytelling ineptitude are the only depth on offer. Can Hollywood please stop reincarnating the same old movies?
- I am — tentatively — returning to cinemas
- behold the spruced-up FlickFilosopher.com
- how black lives have not mattered
- my picks for tonight’s 93rd Academy Awards (the Oscars for 2020’s films) (winners indicated)
- ‘Cultural Artifacts’ out now! (about the cover, plus a giveaway)
get all recent posts starting here
who is maryann, anyway?
- curated: why so much movie criticism, and the movies themselves, are so awful these days
- curated: “Donald Trump‘s Presidency Was Supposed to Be Great for Art. It Wasn‘t”
- curated: 10+ minutes of glorious dancing in movies, so you can forget 2020 for a bit
- curated: how we look at art… and how we think about looking at art
- reader Bluejay’s project to help us all stay sane (and I want yours too)
- “Remain Indoors”
- a message from Simon Pegg and Nick Frost…
- a message from the Doctor at this strange and anxious time
- curated: the roles typecast actors would prefer to play
- curated: why we don’t ‘see’ Star Wars anymore…