watch it: “tweenbots”

No, it’s not about cybernetic Hannah Montana fans:

It’s part of a project by Kacie Kinzer about social interaction and cooperation and helpfulness and what altruism we upright simians might extend to tiny adorable slightly anthropomorphic cardboard robots. I damn near cried reading about the project at Tweenbots.

(Thanks to my semicousin Gail for pointing this out to me.)

bronxbee
bronxbee
Thu, Apr 16, 2009 12:55pm

i don’t know by what glitch, mishap or techno-miracle i was able to view this at work today, but it gave me a real lift! like you, when reading the project webpage, i felt a tear come to my eye. hopefully, when the aliens finally arrive they’ll find the same sort of sympthetic encounters. as long as they look cute, friendly and helpless, i guess. heaven help them if they’re slimey, or ugly.

bats :[
Thu, Apr 16, 2009 4:37pm

I’m sure this is WAY before your time, MaryAnn, but there used to be little plastic containers, red with eyes painted on them, call Oobi. There was a slot in them, and you’d slip a note into Oobi, then write the receiver’s address on the outside. No fair dropping these in the mailbox; the intent was to put Oobi somewhere public and have folks move it toward its destination.
I have an Oobi around somewhere; it was too cute to send off into almost-certain oblivion.

Of course, there’s more information on the Internet:

Accounting Ninja
Accounting Ninja
Thu, Apr 16, 2009 4:59pm

Awww…gotta love the little one with the note: “Call my Family”. Too cute. :)

Arthur
Arthur
Thu, Apr 16, 2009 8:21pm

There might be hope for our species…

Mimi
Mimi
Fri, Apr 17, 2009 2:47pm

It’s interesting how cute she made them — especially the newer versions (http://tweenbots.com/newBots.html). Proportionally large heads, wide-set eyes — those are baby features we’re instinctively driven to go “awwww” and care for. I wonder if the results would be different if they were less cute/helpless looking.

Not to take away from the sweetness — it’s very sweet!

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Sat, Apr 18, 2009 10:08am

I think the artist/experimenter’s next step should be to send an ugly robot out on its own, and see how many people help it. Not as many, I bet.

Mimi
Mimi
Sat, Apr 18, 2009 12:07pm

Yes — I’ve been trying to think of what an ugly robot would look like, for purposes of this hypothetical experiment. Is the opposite of “cute robot” a mean-looking robot or a non-humanoid robot?