bronxbee
bronxbee
Wed, Oct 14, 2009 11:34pm

you were right — i never guessed what it was for! but the most interesting thing to me was the use of the word “Brother” instead of “Hermano” which would have done just as well in the song! i wonder if its has a slightly different implication in Spain (the language is spanish in any event) than “hermano”?

mmc
mmc
Thu, Oct 15, 2009 2:27am

It is very interesting information to me. Thanks so much for posting this information! We appreciate the time you must have taken to present this information so clearly.

Grinebiter
Grinebiter
Thu, Oct 15, 2009 4:06am

FWIW I can’t remember anyone in Spain addressing me as either “Brother” or “Hermano” — I have a notion that they don’t have the figurative usage, but I may well be wrong. Alternatively, the “Brother” may just be exotic chic. We Anglos like to salt our speech with foreign words — as the old joke has it, “pretentious, moi?” — and even the French themselves do it.

Jan Willem
Jan Willem
Thu, Oct 15, 2009 10:15am

Well-travelled Charity Pig sighted at 1:48!

MaSch
MaSch
Thu, Oct 15, 2009 11:53am

Spotted the pig, too, Jan Willem, but was definitely no near relative of Nigel’s, I think.

Mike
Mike
Fri, Oct 16, 2009 11:32am

The real shocker in the commercial is that instead of buying some behemoth SUV they bought a mid sized station wagon.

Grinebiter
Grinebiter
Fri, Oct 16, 2009 12:02pm

Um, passenger spaciousness is not entirely a function of exterior size. I used to drive a 2002 Toyota Yaris, which was surprisingly roomy for a subcompact. I think I could have gotten the beastie into the front passenger seat, at any rate. And I once hitched a ride in a Lincoln Continental, and was astonished at how cramped it was inside. Moreover, you really wouldn’t want to drive a behemoth SUV in a medieval Spanish town. Remember “The Italian Job”? Rome, but same principle.