question of the weekend: What’s your favorite way to spend a rainy Saturday?

It’s gray and rainy and cold here in New York today. I wish I didn’t have to go out. But I have to go to this press thing for the upcoming movie Everybody’s Fine — there’s a press conference with Robert DeNiro and Sam Rockwell, and I’m gonna interview the writer and director, Kirk Jones. At least it’s in a fancy hotel, and they usually give us at least coffee and cookies — that’s a bit like the kind of comfort food I like on a rainy day.

And I haven’t been to the post office all week to pick up my mail, so I should do that on my way downtown.

Still, I wish I didn’t have to go out. I’d rather spend the day curled up on the sofa watching DVDs. I know: Big shock, right?

What’s your favorite way to spend a rainy Saturday?

(If you have a suggestion for a QOTD/QOTW, feel free to email me. Responses to this QOTW sent by email will be ignored; please post your responses here.)

Heather
Heather
Sat, Nov 14, 2009 9:07am

OOoh, a nice cup of tea or coffee, a good book or my cross-stitch, and a curl up on the sofa to either read or sew.

Possibly with a programme/film on the tv for background.

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
Sat, Nov 14, 2009 10:30am

Question of the weekend: What’s your favorite way to spend a rainy Saturday?

Singing.

In the rain.

Just singing.

In the rain.

What a glorious feeling!

I’m happy again….

Hank Graham
Hank Graham
Sat, Nov 14, 2009 11:34am

Well, I have the advantage of you, in that gray, rainy, cold days in Seattle aren’t as rare as they are in NYC, so most of of us are prepared with alternative plans, but a lot of the time we’ll just go ahead, workiing through the rain.

But my two favorite things to do when I decide I don’t want to go out into the nastiness are, first, to work in my wood shop (I’m currently building a grandfather clock) and, second, curl up on the sofa with some hot chocolate and someone special and watch a DVD.

Accounting Ninja
Accounting Ninja
Sat, Nov 14, 2009 11:40am

Clean my house. Not because I like to, but in order to fully relax, my house needs to feel cozy. We’re very busy throughout the week, so the house tends to accumulate clutter.
But once that is done, lots of coffee, blankets and entertainment, whether it’s books, tv or internet. I’ll light candles, make it smell nice. Maybe later I’ll enjoy an alcoholic beverage. :)
Oh, yeah, and send my son for some Grandma time while my husband and I spend the day with each other.
Can you tell I’ve got plans for today?

Lisa
Lisa
Sat, Nov 14, 2009 11:43am

curling up with some tea and cookies and Sam Rockwell would be nice

I live somewhere quite rainy so that’s pretty much every week for me

if it’s snowing dvd eats big woolly jumper duvet sofa tv trashy novel bliss

CoriAnn
CoriAnn
Sat, Nov 14, 2009 12:29pm

Gotta go with the standby of curling up with a good book and a blanket and a nice hot pot of tea nearby. That’s just heaven.

Ken
Ken
Sat, Nov 14, 2009 12:55pm

I like to answer questions on the internet

Orangutan
Orangutan
Sat, Nov 14, 2009 6:52pm

DVD marathon! Today I’ve been working on Castle season 1.

geerjay
geerjay
Sat, Nov 14, 2009 10:36pm

It snowed here, enough to cover up the fallen leaves and dust all the bare branches. By April I’ll be very tired of it, but the first snows are nice, and make me feel cozy and Christmassy.

So I made a Christmas pudding, and two kinds of cookies. Roast beef and roast potatoes for supper, and then a DVD.

Paul
Paul
Sun, Nov 15, 2009 1:04am

My attention span is about one hour, unless what I’m reading or watching or writing is really interesting, so I start off with the tea and book and blanket thing, then I get some water and sit at the computer, then I get out a notebook and write, and if it keeps raining I just start over and do it all again. But I do like to follow tea with water because I drink strong tea, which is a little weird for my stomache after years of weaker tea in America.

sophronia
sophronia
Sun, Nov 15, 2009 2:19am

Rainy Saturdays are so rare where I live that I can’t even remember the last one we had. Usually, unless it’s very cold or stormy, I take my son outside to play in the rain so he can experience some actual weather for a change. Then I make soup.

It was supposed to rain here today and didn’t. Typical …

allochthon
allochthon
Sun, Nov 15, 2009 1:01pm

Watch Doctor Who. Just a few more hours…

Isobel
Isobel
Mon, Nov 16, 2009 3:44am

Well we have a really raining Saturday this week in Surrey – torrential rain and thunderstorms in November (bizzarre). I had been trawling around on this site reading reviews and came accross a mention of Marion Zimmer-Bradley’s The Mists of Avalon, which I haven’t read for about 15 years. So I ordered it from Amazon and spent Saturday curled up on the sofa with my cherished cosy snuggly dusty purple cashmere blanket and read. All day! Fab.