question of the weekend: How are you celebrating May 1?

Perhaps you’re hanging out at your local geek hot spot for Free Comic Book Day. Could be you’re dancing around a maypole to honor May Day. Maybe you’re marching to commemorate International Workers’ Day. You might be lighting a bonfire to celebrate Beltaine. You might be keeping one of the other numerous special days that occur on this day

How are you celebrating May 1?

(If you have a suggestion for a QOTD/QOTW, feel free to email me. Responses to this QOTW sent by email will be ignored; please post your responses here.)

Count Shrimpula
Sat, May 01, 2010 11:33am

I would recommend Jonathan Coulton’s Suggestion:

It’s the First of May
First of May
Outdoor fucking starts today
So bring your favorite lady
Or at least your favorite lay
Water’s not cold, baby, dip in your big toe
Maybe I’ll see you in flagrante delicto
Grass below you, sky above
Celebrate spring with a crazy little thing called
Fucking outside

gensing
gensing
Sat, May 01, 2010 11:33am

Watching the parade for International Workers Day – here in Italy, everything else is closed today.

fett101
fett101
Sat, May 01, 2010 12:10pm

Celebrating May 1st by trying not to get blown away by tornados or drown in flood water.

doa766
doa766
Sat, May 01, 2010 12:39pm

worker’s day here in Argentina, everything’s closed, even the damn sushi delivery place

I’ll spend the day watching the second season of the big bang theory, later I’ll finish my second playthrough of Heavy Rain to see what ending I get this time and at night I’ll watch the Avatar blu ray

BTW, just noticed on the right column that you’ve seen The Secret in Their Eyes, will you be posting a review?

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
Sat, May 01, 2010 3:28pm

The only thing special I had planned for the first day of May was re-watching the 2002 horror flick May. I suppose I could go ahead and change out my air conditioning filter as well but that doesn’t really scream “holiday celebration” to me…

JoshDM
JoshDM
Sat, May 01, 2010 4:12pm

I’m waiting 3 more days till the true holiday. Does anyone know what day that is (it’s not Cinco de Mayo…).

bats :[
Sat, May 01, 2010 4:45pm

Star Wars Day, JoshDM?
Watching the Slog for the Roses here.

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
Sat, May 01, 2010 10:29pm

Does anyone know what day that is (it’s not Cinco de Mayo…).

Cuatro de Mayo?;-)

Sun, May 02, 2010 1:29pm

Does anyone know what day that is (it’s not Cinco de Mayo…).

The anniversary of the birth of the May Fourth Movement, which eventually led to Chinese Communism?

It’s also National Weather Observers’ Day.

…And, of course, National Teachers’ Day.

Which one are you celebrating, JoshDM? Why not all three (or all four, including Star Wars Day): Send a postcard to your favorite teacher, grab your iPod with some John Williams tunes on it, and settle into your lounge chair for a day of cloud-watching while occasionally browsing through your copy of the Little Red Book… ;-)

Lanna Lee Maheux-Quinn
Sun, May 02, 2010 4:06pm

I am programming a little java program to show a Sierpinski Triangle.

Brian
Brian
Mon, May 03, 2010 2:39pm

I spent it moving into a new house, actually (well, new to me) . . . so I guess you could say I was celebrating the “American Dream” of home ownership. Missed the Derby and the workers and the comic books and everything.