deep thought (re ‘Ghost Hunters’ on Syfy)

I’m so old that I can remember when the Sci Fi Channel actually cablecast science fiction, not gorram “reality” paranormal gosa.

I want my gorram science frakkin’ fiction, okay?

DaveTM
DaveTM
Wed, Aug 25, 2010 7:19pm

And that’s why they changed their name to Syfy. Because they took the Science Fiction out of the channel so why still call it SciFi.

sigh I miss SciFi

nyjm
nyjm
Wed, Aug 25, 2010 9:40pm

Amen, sister! SyFy often confuses the hell out of me. This is the channel that on one hand, brings up gems like Battlestar Galactica, and then on the other hand, serves lukewarm, pseudo-intellectual editing tricks like Ghost Hunters. Warehouse 13? Mary Knows Best. Eureka? Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files.

Really, if any channel could ever be said to have a split personality…

PaulW
Thu, Aug 26, 2010 12:40am

would that include marathon reshowings of Mansquito?

I want my MTV to actually be MTV. You know. FRAKKIN MUSIC. They still make videos you know. They’re all on youtube anymore. :(

Live-action on Cartoon Network?! Ship it over to FREAKING Nickelodeon!

What’s next? College Football on the Golf Channel?!

Thu, Aug 26, 2010 3:23am

Fortunately we live in a world where it’s entirely possible to build your own Science Fiction Channel or Cartoon Channel at home. Whether you do it by Netflix, Hulu or Bittorrent, there’s no reason ever to watch a programme you didn’t choose to watch.

Brian'
Thu, Aug 26, 2010 9:07am

There’s a grass-roots effort underway to create a new network that actually shows sci-fi programming, called the Syzygy network:

I’m not sure how successful they will be, but I’ve been keeping half an eye on it to see if it gains any traction.

Michael
Michael
Thu, Aug 26, 2010 12:40pm

Can I get a “FRELL, YEAH?!”

mortadella
mortadella
Thu, Aug 26, 2010 4:30pm

Once I turned the channel on and saw this reality show about a family struggling to hold a family BBQ. I kept saying, WTF is this crap? Who are these people? I found out it was “Mary Knows Best,” suppossedly about a psychic, except there’s no supernatural stuff, just a weak reality show that’s suppose to get it’s fuel from the personality of it’s “star.” Snore. I liked it better when the channel devoted entire days to shows like “Alien Nation” or “The X-Files” for god’s sake. Jeeze, they’ve dropped the ball. “Haven” blows, I’m afraid.

McFeely
Fri, Aug 27, 2010 1:35pm

I still equate Paranormal and Cryptozoology with science I think it fits. Say what you will about GH at least they don’t run around screaming and yelling like some other shows of the same format. While some of their techniques aren’t traditional or seem sketchy, when dealing with the unknown you use what seems to work. While I necessarily don’t believe in ghosts (I’ve never had any experiences) I don’t think that the show is any less scientific in its approach they don’t always find anything, and they do try to disprove it and debunk as much as they can.

I enjoy Eureka and Warehouse 13, its just geek entertainment which is what should be on a channel called SyFy.