Doctor Who thing of the day: “Night and the Doctor” minisodes

What does the Doctor do while his companions are asleep? I have my own ideas about this, but here’s Steven Moffat’s take, across five mini episodes from the new Season 6 DVD box set. Watch ’em now, before they disappear from DailyMotion. Oh, and buy the box set, why not? [Amazon U.S.] [Amazon Canada] [Amazon U.K.]
“Bad Night”:

Jim the Fish? Or not? The suspense is killing me!

“Good Night”:

Okay, so we’ll never know if that was Jim the Fish. But now we know that the best way to deal with the mess that is time and space is to have an ice cream. And here I thought a nice cup of tea was the solution to everything.

“First Night”:

“We’ve got 10 minutes to get dressed.” “That is so close to the perfect sentence.” But this timey-whimey romance is gonna be a mess…

“Last Night”:

Time Lord sandwich!

“Up All Night”:

Um, what? Did Moffat just run out of ideas with this last one? C’mon, how many awesome parties around the universe could the Doctor be going to?

Seriously, purchasing the DVDs supports the show. I may have complained about this season a lot, but it’s not like I don’t want more. I’m sure you do too.

Via DoctorWhoTV. Thanks to Ken for the link.

(If you stumble across a cool Doctor Who thing, feel free to email me with a link.)

WhoDeb
Fri, Dec 02, 2011 3:42pm

I believe it was mentioned that the “fish” was in fact the Queen of England. (She had been turned into a fish)

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  WhoDeb
Fri, Dec 02, 2011 4:02pm

Yes, but then the Doctor said he took the wrong fish! So was the other fish Jim? We still don’t know…

Karl Morton IV
Karl Morton IV
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Fri, Dec 02, 2011 7:13pm

“Prince of Wales” or “Prince of Whales”?

Martin
Martin
Fri, Dec 02, 2011 3:55pm

First Night/Last Night was so bittersweet and a perfect example of how effective these little mini episodes can be. It’s an idea that isn’t big enough for an episode but interesting enough not to make it the B story to something else.

Guest
Guest
Fri, Dec 02, 2011 4:09pm

These are really nice.  Clearly these were done in the same way as the prequels: using the cast of an episode to make an additional little scene.  Seen in that vein, the problem with the last video is that it IS a prequel and so doesn’t fit in with the rest.

But all hilarious and, as Martin said, a nice way to explore little ideas that don’t quite fit in.

Henry from CO
Henry from CO
Fri, Dec 02, 2011 4:25pm

Thanks for updates.  A nice WHO fix as we wait for the Christmas special.  I especially like the River Song shorts; particularly her final trip with The Doctor before The Library episode.  Makes me want to go back and watch again.

Such a clever, clever man that Moffat.  Not surprise though of the announcement of next season being pushed out until autumn.  He’s so busy with WHO, Sherlock, Tintin, and who knows what.  It is interesting however that with the late start they could begin to develop a story line for the 50th anniversary the following year.  It just might be where the wait.

Take care

lescarr
Fri, Dec 02, 2011 6:52pm

I think I’ll save these until Christmas day. Unwrapping the DVD, picking a moment to sneak out of the kitchen, grabbing 10 minutes of Doctor Who in the middle of making the dinner, these are the things that give Christmas its true meaning. Happy Jeffmas, everybody!

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
Fri, Dec 02, 2011 8:30pm

Bad Night is zany and silly, but not great.
Good Night is brilliant. I cried. When they slow down, both Matt and Karen can be exceptional actors.
First Night and Last Night… well, I suppose my only real problem is that I disagree with Steven Moffatin regards to the order in which things happen for River.  I do get the sense though, that we can take the canonicity of these minisodes with a grain of salt. So, he’s provided both himself and future writers/show runners with some leeway in how they handle the problem of River Song. Hence, the Doctor telling himself “Spoilers” when asked if “this [is] that night?” (I, for one, don’t notice a haircut.) About te only thing he’s locked into (and I think this was a mistake) is that any other incarnations of River Song the Doctor encounters will be “Evil” Melody Pond. Stupid Let’s Kill Hitler

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
Fri, Dec 02, 2011 8:32pm

Also, I heard the line as “We’ve got 10 minutes, so get dressed.” That sounds much closer to the perfect sentence. :-)

Alli
Alli
Sun, Dec 04, 2011 9:43pm

“My life doesn’t make any sense.”  I think Moffat’s been reading your reviews.