who or what is your spirit animal?

pandarock

Urban Dictionary defines “spirit animal” like this:

In pagan religions and systems, a spirit animal or totem is meant to be a representation of the traits and skills that you are supposed to learn or have. Online, saying something or someone is your spirit animal is a statement that said person or thing is a representation of you or what you want to be.

In that, er, spirit, my spirit animal is my iPhone. Or, as I noted last night on Facebook:

I am the only person whose spirit animal is dumplings. ‪#‎truefact‬

My spirit is confused.

Who or what is your spirit animal? Feel free to use either hip geek definition or the more traditional pagan one when answering.

(If you have a suggestion for a Question, feel free to email me.)

Stephanie C.
Stephanie C.
Sat, Oct 19, 2013 12:53pm

i own sleepingcat.com for a reason. sleeping cats are so completely perfect. they are just well. anyone who has seen one, even people who don’t much care for cats, knows.

Mara Katz
Mara Katz
reply to  Stephanie C.
Sat, Oct 19, 2013 3:42pm

I think I’m also a cat, but one that spends less time sleeping and more time playing with string.*glances around at myriad knitting projects*
Or maybe I’m a spider. I’ve always wished I had extra arms so I could do everything at once.

bronxbee
bronxbee
Sat, Oct 19, 2013 2:59pm

i identify with anything that has horns for some reason: deer, elk, moose — even goats. i have no idea why my spirit food is chicken!

Jess Haskins
Jess Haskins
Sun, Oct 20, 2013 1:12am

Crow. Corvids are intelligent, beautiful, fascinating, underappreciated creatures. Er, not that I’m ascribing those qualities to myself, I’m just saying. They don’t miss much, they’re great tool-users and problem-solvers, and they’re social but independent. I could watch them all day, and I love the sound of crows calling.

Jonathan Roth
Jonathan Roth
Sun, Oct 20, 2013 1:18am

<–Fox.

I've been pretty much obsessed with foxes ever since fourth grade. For a shy, nerdy, scrawny kid, an animal also seen as solitary, clever, and slight seemed a perfect match. Just as those traits made the fox largely a villain in children's stories, it made me a target of bullying in Jr. High.

Dokeo
Dokeo
reply to  Jonathan Roth
Sun, Oct 20, 2013 6:19pm

So maybe you can answer this question: What *does* the fox say?

Jonathan Roth
Jonathan Roth
reply to  Dokeo
Mon, Oct 21, 2013 7:51pm

“I’ll have you know that foxes have the finest howl in nature:”

Be sure to click the “For reference” link below. :D

reply to  Jonathan Roth
Mon, Oct 21, 2013 9:39pm

I think it’s kind of cool that several YouTube clips of actual foxes making noises now have thousands to millions of views, thanks to people looking them up after seeing the Ylvis video.

Jonathan Roth
Jonathan Roth
reply to  Bluejay
Mon, Oct 21, 2013 9:51pm

True. It’s kind of funny; once you know what it is, it’s very distinctive.

Fox screams are the moody nighttime sound effect of choice for a lot of BBC shows. Watch enough Jonathan Creek, and it starts to become as ubiquitous as the Wilhelm.

Roisin G
Roisin G
reply to  Jonathan Roth
Wed, Jun 30, 2021 4:22am

Wolves have the finest howl in nature not foxes

Roisin G
Roisin G
reply to  Jonathan Roth
Wed, Jun 30, 2021 4:23am

That’s so not true wolves have the finest howl in nature

Danielm80
Danielm80
reply to  Roisin G
Thu, Jul 01, 2021 11:37am

How do we know a wolf didn’t write this?

I see multiple comments from the same account. It could be a whole pack of wolves.

amanohyo
amanohyo
Sun, Oct 20, 2013 2:37am

A combination of an osprey and a cheetah (Oprah?… Cheesprey? Reminds me of the stuff I squirted on Ritz crackers in the 80’s) – imagine a sort of a slender, reclusive griffon… uh oh, I think I might be turning into some kind of middle-aged, asian Napoleon Dynamite.

The reasons are many: I am stoic, thin, flexible, very fast over short distances, comfortable living on any continent except Antarctica, I love to eat fish, mate for life (in theory), am reluctant to breed in captivity, I purr but never roar, I like both high places and broad grassy expanses, my skin is orange/yelllow and somewhat furry, my haircut or lack thereof looks like disheveled feathers, and I have excellent eyesight and a strong grip. Oh, I also hate bald eagles and lions, and when I chase something or someone I am successful about 50% of the time. My high cheekbones even give me those weird cheetah tear trail lines on my face.

So yeah, a Cheesprey or maybe a cuttlefish. I like to hide, I like to cuttle, and when I feel threatened at parties I fart loudly, then abruptly run out of the building like a socially awkward ninja (this is not a joke – all of my favorite foods contain cabbage and/or some form of delicious bean).

Sun, Oct 20, 2013 10:49am

I’ve had firedrake.org for about fifteen years now.

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
Sun, Oct 20, 2013 8:28pm

The Midgard Serpent.

Okay, seriously, it’s the Fenris wolf…

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
Mon, Oct 21, 2013 3:15am

I’d like to come back as an otter.