what city that you’ve never been to would you most like to visit?

tokyo

As this is automatically posting itself, I am on my way to Paris for a few days. It’s a birthday jaunt with a friend (her birthday, not mine) and we’ve both been there before, so I’m expecting a relaxing few days of museums and cafes. It’s nice to go back to places you’ve already been — the touristy pressure is off a little.

But it’s nice to visit new places, too. And so this weekend’s Question:

What city that you’ve never been to would you most like to visit?

I think top of my list right now is Tokyo. (Though maybe not till they’ve cleaned up that reactor mess the tsunami left, or at least eliminated the possibility that it’s going to go up in a cloud of radiation that spreads across the country.) I’ve been to a handful of foreign cities, including places where English is not the native language, but never anywhere where the native alphabet isn’t the same. I imagine it would be pretty scary — in an interesting, exciting way — to be that at sea in a strange place.

You?

(If you have a suggestion for a Question, feel free to email me.)

bronxbee
bronxbee
Sat, Nov 09, 2013 2:02pm

Florence, Venice, Barcelona, Fez, Buenos Aires, San Francisco…. for starters.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
reply to  bronxbee
Thu, Nov 14, 2013 5:22pm

…Fez. Yes.

Kirk Aplin
Kirk Aplin
Sat, Nov 09, 2013 2:52pm

Wellington, New Zealand. Actually I want to see ALL of Middle Earth, er New Zealand, but might as well start with the capital, right? I just wish one didn’t have to fly to get there.

Captain_Swing666
Captain_Swing666
Sat, Nov 09, 2013 7:09pm

Seville, I’m looking for a city to retire to and my current favourite is Granada in Andalucia. But, my wife favours Seville because of it’s better climate – So we need to compare and contrast.

Stephanie C.
Stephanie C.
Sat, Nov 09, 2013 9:02pm

I have frequent urges that tell me to go to New Orleans.

Beowulf
Beowulf
reply to  Stephanie C.
Tue, Nov 12, 2013 3:52pm

Just go. It’s great!

Danielm80
Danielm80
Sat, Nov 09, 2013 11:04pm

I’d like to go to the New York that we were promised at the old World’s Fairs a few generations back.

But if we’re limited to the real world, I want to go to New Zealand.

Judy
Judy
Sun, Nov 10, 2013 1:50am

Paris

Beowulf
Beowulf
reply to  Judy
Tue, Nov 12, 2013 3:54pm

Wonderful. But beware: it is NOT the “City of Lights,” it’s the “City of Steps”!

Say “Bon Jour” when you enter anywhere and the “snobby” French will love you.

texphile
texphile
Sun, Nov 10, 2013 5:59am

I would love to go to Edinburgh for the fringe festival next year.

lescarr
Sun, Nov 10, 2013 4:12pm

I’d like to visit the new bohemian Berlin – it has quite the reputation for artists and tech startups.

Captain_Swing666
Captain_Swing666
Sun, Nov 10, 2013 4:19pm

“I’ve been to a handful of foreign cities, including places where English is not the native language, but never anywhere where the native alphabet isn’t the same. I imagine it would be pretty scary — in an interesting, exciting way — to be that at sea in a strange place.”

Closer to home you could try Moscow or Budapest

Kathy_A
Kathy_A
Mon, Nov 11, 2013 1:58pm

Oh, so many!!
New Orleans, Sydney, Kyoto, St. Petersburg (Russia, not Florida!), Vienna, Rome, Paris, Florence, Pompeii (what? it’s a city, just nobody lives there anymore…), Dublin (next September!!!).

Beowulf
Beowulf
Tue, Nov 12, 2013 3:55pm

City: Tokyo.
Country: New Zealand (after a stop in Oz).

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
Wed, Nov 13, 2013 5:43pm

The pixie and I were planning a trip to Timbuctoo (and saving up for it) then the war happened. Still want to go there, and Bamako.

Recently (as in “about two years ago”), it occurred to me that Ho Chi Minh City could be a very interesting trip. But, it would require over 24 hours of travel and I’d want to go for at least 2 weeks…and at least one of the people I’d want to come along doesn’t feel comfortable being away from his job for that long. :-(

Rebecca Dalmas
Rebecca Dalmas
Mon, Nov 18, 2013 9:30am

While I’d love to explore the Far East, for now my list includes the more accessible cities: Rome, Prague, San Francisco (when we’re on our next US roadtrip), Moscow, Amsterdam (airports don’t count), Vienna, Salzburg, and various smaller cities and towns in England. And can I count the Hadron Collider between France and Switzerland as a city? I’ll cheat, and count that, too. And while I’m not Catholic I would like to take Spain’s pilgrimage walking route, “El camino de Santiago.”