Steve Gagen
Steve Gagen
Wed, Mar 05, 2014 7:14am

Strange as it may seem to some, I really LIKE brussel sprouts. When I saw the cropped picture in FaceBook, I thought they were offering free brussel sprouts. Imagine my disappointment when I found out what the sign really said!

bronxbee
bronxbee
reply to  Steve Gagen
Wed, Mar 05, 2014 5:13pm

me too… and i’ve made them six ways from sunday, but maryann still doesn’t like them. however, i’m looking for the beet free zone, please.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
reply to  bronxbee
Wed, Mar 05, 2014 6:16pm

No borscht for you!

bronxbee
bronxbee
reply to  LaSargenta
Wed, Mar 05, 2014 6:46pm

oh, lordy — no!

Melimato
Melimato
Wed, Mar 05, 2014 9:26am

Dreadful things – Camden showing its usual enlightenment….

Wed, Mar 05, 2014 12:26pm

Bah. Soften them first (lightly boil or microwave), then fry them in garlic butter. Lovely!

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  RogerBW
Wed, Mar 05, 2014 1:51pm

Ugh. I just can’t. I’ve tried them prepared in lots of different ways. It’s the texture — it squicks me out. And I do like cabbage, so it’s weird.

I eat plenty of other veggies, so I don’t think I’m missing out on anything vital, nutrientwise. :->

althea
althea
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Wed, Mar 05, 2014 3:58pm

I’m with MaryAnn on this one. Ick.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
Wed, Mar 05, 2014 2:11pm

Ha! For me, it’s lima beans. If you get a sprout on your plate, otoh, pass it over here. I’ll let you have my lima beans.

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  LaSargenta
Wed, Mar 05, 2014 3:48pm

No, the texture of most legumes puts me off, too.

bronxbee
bronxbee
reply to  LaSargenta
Wed, Mar 05, 2014 6:47pm

uck…. beans of any kind.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
reply to  bronxbee
Wed, Mar 05, 2014 7:00pm

Right then…for both of you, I promise never to make a chili with beans nor a black bean and cilantro salad nor lentil soup.

Ya see…this is why I ask guests if they have any allergies or aversions. Some people accuse me of ‘pandering’ to people who don’t like to eat certain things, but I think it is much easier to know in advance and not to find I’ve made something I love but that I discover a guest can’t stand or can’t eat without severe repercussions.

reply to  LaSargenta
Thu, Mar 06, 2014 1:14am

Yeah, I just ask people “is there anything you’d rather not eat” — I don’t care whether it’s an allergy or just a mild preference, as a host I don’t want to give people things they won’t like.

Jonathan Roth
Jonathan Roth
Thu, Mar 06, 2014 3:54pm

Brussels Sprouts were never on the menu when I was a kid, mostly because mom hated them. This Christmas, my sister-in-law made some which were really good, and I’ve beenmaking them quite a lot latly.

Nothing fancy: Get them fresh, trim the ends, split them in half across the stem, dump in a pot with a pinch of salt and half a cup of water. Slap on the lid and cook on high for 4-5 minutes.

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
Thu, Mar 06, 2014 7:27pm

*Sigh* Fiiiiiiine, I’ll take the brussel sprouts, the beans, and the beets. Y’all can have the cauliflower and the asparagus.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
reply to  Dr. Rocketscience
Thu, Mar 06, 2014 7:48pm

No. I am taking ALL the brussel sprouts. But, I’ll have your asparagus if you take my lima beans.

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
reply to  LaSargenta
Thu, Mar 06, 2014 8:33pm

Oh, I will fight you for the sprouts, Iron Chef-style!

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
reply to  Dr. Rocketscience
Thu, Mar 06, 2014 8:45pm

I’ve got 2 unconventional recipes for them … one with sesame paste-tamari sauce. The other uses poppy seeds and shredded carrots. I use those with people who are willing to try ’em, but have had previous bad experiences. When it is just me alone, I boil ’em with salt water and then eat with butter and black pepper. How’s about we make all three dishes and you and me split each of them in half?

MaryAnn Johanson