London photo: Tour de France

tourdefrance

I waited for two hours this afternoon — sometimes in the rain — near Waterloo Bridge and this was what it looked like when the cyclists finally zipped by.

Also: Who knew the Tour de France wasn’t confined to, you know, France?

(Click here for a larger version.)

Kathy_A
Kathy_A
Tue, Jul 08, 2014 5:58pm

I love watching TDF on the tv, but I always figured it would look just like this in real life!!
At least you weren’t trying to take a selfie of you with the riders in the background, like so many people were trying to do all three days in England. The riders were getting reallllly pissed off at everyone standing in the road with the cameras/phones, and many people either had the cameras/phones knocked out of their hands by the passing riders slapping them away, or ended up on their backsides when they were clipped by the riders zooming past at 30 mph.

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Kathy_A
Tue, Jul 08, 2014 10:22pm

Good. There’s no excuse for interfering with the race.

Martin
Martin
reply to  Kathy_A
Wed, Jul 09, 2014 2:48pm

Yeah, I wasn’t sure if this was something that’s happened in previous tours, but I found it to be a deep embarrassment that tarnished the good work done by so many.

Kathy_A
Kathy_A
Tue, Jul 08, 2014 10:50pm

When I was watching last night, Christian Vande Velde, a commentator on NBC Sports and a racer from Chicago who recently retired, was talking about the race getting into London. I laughed when, instead of saying “Buckingham Palace,” he said “Buckingham Fountain.” Only a Chicagoan would do that!!

Rebecca Dalmas
Rebecca Dalmas
Thu, Jul 10, 2014 10:03am

They are coming here! Or close enough, Mulhouse. I wanna bring my kids. It can be an eye-opening experience so see in-real-life what you usually just see on screen.

Thu, Jul 24, 2014 3:38pm

It’s been going outside France since tour #4 in 1906. :-) At least these days the riders aren’t beaten up by each other’s supporters.