London photos: Beverly Brook

beverlybrook1

A little treat for fellow fans of Ben Aaronovitch’s urban fantasy series Rivers of London [Amazon U.S.] [Amazon Canada] [Amazon U.K.] — we know why Beverly Brook is so important.

beverlybrook2

If you don’t read Rivers of London, you should: it’s addictive and highly entertaining. And it’s going to be adapted for TV soon (cannot wait!), so you’ll be ahead of the game.

In Barnes, southwest London.

lescarr
lescarr
Fri, Jul 17, 2015 10:17am

I’m so made up that you’re a fan! Although I’m never sure whether I’m more into Aaronovitch’s Rivers of London or Cornell’s London Falling.

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  lescarr
Fri, Jul 17, 2015 3:20pm

I would hate to have to choose as well: I love both.

bronxbee
bronxbee
reply to  lescarr
Fri, Jul 17, 2015 4:33pm

why choose? they satisfy completely different sections of my soul.

Ralph
Ralph
reply to  bronxbee
Fri, Jul 17, 2015 5:32pm

There’s a cover quote on the first London Falling which I think captures the two neatly – Cornell’s is urban fantasy meets The Sweeney, to Aaronovitch’s urban fantasy meets The Bill. Both nourishing in their own way.

(Cornell made that pretty easy for them by explicitly calling out the famous “We haven’t had any dinner” line, of course…)

Great picture – did you make an explicit pilgrimage, or just happen upon it?

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Ralph
Fri, Jul 17, 2015 9:52pm

It’s near where a friend of mine lives, and so I’ve stumbled across it many times (the first time was a surprise). Finally snapped a photo!

Arthur
Arthur
Fri, Jul 17, 2015 9:17pm

I must confess: Beverly doesn’t look anything like I expected from the books…

Mon, Jul 20, 2015 4:11pm

Ummm, how much of a big deal is it if I read these out of order? I’m not someone who normally cares about “spoilers”; this is more a question of ‘will I be lost (like Fellowship of the Ring to Two Towers)? or do the stories stand on their own (like the novels in Dance to the Music of Time)?

reply to  LaSargenta
Mon, Jul 20, 2015 5:20pm

I would definitely recommend reading the first of each series first, because they’re the ones that throw the protagonist/s in to learn the rules of the world. I think it would help to carry on in order with Aaronovitch’s books, but it shouldn’t be entirely confusing if you didn’t.
I have some reviews up at blog.firedrake.org in case that helps.

reply to  RogerBW
Mon, Jul 20, 2015 6:29pm

Thanks. Got the first on reserve now.

bronxbee
bronxbee
reply to  LaSargenta
Mon, Jul 20, 2015 5:55pm

i would highly recommend reading them in order… a lot of the story line builds on the past story lines and the humor is also kind of dependent on knowing what’s going on in the story lines of the previous books. they are wonderful. i hope you read them soon.

reply to  bronxbee
Mon, Jul 20, 2015 6:29pm

Thanks. Got the first on reserve now.

reply to  bronxbee
Tue, May 24, 2016 4:21pm

It wasn’t until last week that my copy of Midnight Riot became available at the NYPL. (Apologies to Mr. Aaronovitch for not being able to afford purchasing his books.) I can say I really enjoyed it and I devoured it this past Saturday afternoon while I was being a hot water bottle for a cat with a respiratory infection.

The other ones are on reserve now, except for Moon Over Soho which, for some reason, is only an e-book at the library. I don’t have an e-book reader and I like handling the physical book, so I’m going to get my hands on it some other way.

bronxbee
bronxbee
reply to  LaSargenta
Tue, May 24, 2016 7:12pm

try getting a used copy, although, if you’re really desperate, i can lend you mine when you see maryann.

reply to  bronxbee
Tue, May 24, 2016 7:19pm

I’ve already planned to keep an eye out at my local used store (yes, I still have one in my nabe). But, we (the FF trio that I’m part of) are hoping you’ll be part of that gathering, too; your wording reads like you’d be passing it on w/o being there…

Many thanks for the offer.

bronxbee
bronxbee
reply to  LaSargenta
Tue, May 24, 2016 7:44pm

i’m not quite sure whether or not i’ll be able to attend; i’m in the middle of trying to find a new place to live. and packing. etc.

Danielm80
Danielm80
reply to  bronxbee
Tue, May 24, 2016 9:00pm

We’re really hoping you can make it.
I just requested the translation of Sappho that was mentioned on the other thread. It hasn’t come in yet at the library, but I did get a copy of The Art of Zootopia, a book which is astounding for slightly different reasons. (Not that you asked.)

reply to  bronxbee
Tue, May 24, 2016 10:07pm

I know how exhausting that can be. We (or, at least, I) won’t hold it against you if you don’t come; but, it’d be fun to have you there, too.

:-)

bronxbee
bronxbee
reply to  LaSargenta
Wed, May 25, 2016 5:01pm

well, thanks both of you. i might need some drinking time during this process.

reply to  bronxbee
Wed, May 25, 2016 5:19pm

I’m sure we can come up with the Moving On Out cocktail.