London photo: so many greens

somanygreens

I had a little outing over the weekend to Croydon (which is part of Greater London), and one of the places I visited was Heathfield, a once-private estate now owned by the council, with gardens that are open to the public.

As my aunt, whom I was with, pointed out: every color here comes under the banner of “green,” yet they’re all so very different. And beautiful.

(Click here for a larger version.)

Mon, Aug 24, 2015 11:25pm
MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Bluejay
Tue, Aug 25, 2015 8:52am

Help with what? :-)

reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Tue, Aug 25, 2015 1:25pm

Oh, just a jokey link to help describe types of green. :-)

I remember being absolutely wonderstruck when I visited the NY Botanical Garden, and then frustrated when I could only describe it to my friends afterwards as “lots of flowers and trees.” I’ve always wanted to build up my nature vocabulary.

Danielm80
Danielm80
reply to  Bluejay
Tue, Aug 25, 2015 2:20pm

Random childhood memory: When I was little, I saw a children’s musical called—I think—Beethoven on Third. One of the songs was about a composer trying to describe the magnificent natural wonders around him. Every time he tried to write about a beautiful forest or hill or field, it was so breathtaking that he couldn’t come up with anything but, “It looks…green.”

reply to  Danielm80
Tue, Aug 25, 2015 2:24pm

I suppose there ARE ways to talk about green. For instance, green is the color of spring. And green can be cool and friendly-like. And green can be big, like a mountain, or important, like a river, or tall like a tree.

MarkyD
reply to  Bluejay
Wed, Aug 26, 2015 1:57am

I have a degree in Ornamental Horticulture, and am a Certified Master Gardener, but even I remain overwhelmed at the amount of things there are to learn in regards to plants, trees, flowers, insects, ecology, etc. etc. I know a lot, but on a grand scale, I know nothing. It’s very humbling. I love that it’s a continual learning process.

reply to  MarkyD
Wed, Aug 26, 2015 12:39pm

“We live on an island surrounded by a sea of ignorance. As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance.”
— John Archibald Wheeler