‘Terminator 4’ casts Christian Bale as John Connor

Oh my God! Christian Bale is rumored to have signed onto Terminator 4, titled Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins. (Is that a tentative title? Man, it’s a mouthful…) Bale is pretty much a god, as far as I’m concerned. I met him when he was doing press for Rescue Dawn — geez, maybe I should get around to posting some of that conversation with him now that the movie is out on DVD — and the idea of him as John Connor absolutely thrills me. Connor is similar to the character he played in Reign of Fire, which could so easily have been so much better than it was.

But wait…
Oh my God! Who is set to direct T4? It’s McG, a fauxteur on a scale matched only by the likes of Brett Ratner. His only theatrical movies have been the unspeakable cheesy Charlie’s Angels and Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle, and the unspeakably melodramatic We Are Marshall. It makes me fear for T4.

T4 is scheduled, at the moment, to release in June 2009. Oh, I’ll save you a seat: you know I’ll be there regardless of my doubts.

(Technorati tags: , , , )

Clayj
Tue, Dec 04, 2007 8:07pm

Where’s James Cameron when you need him? McG = McPuke, although his work on Chuck has been OK to watch.

mark
mark
Tue, Dec 04, 2007 8:24pm

Cameron said, back in the T3 days, that he wouldn’t be involved in a franchise that he didn’t own; since he doesn’t own the Terminator stuff, he’s not interested in doing it.

Harley
Harley
Tue, Dec 04, 2007 9:48pm

Well, even if the movie turns out to be awful it’s still likely that Bale will be great.

PaulW
PaulW
Tue, Dec 04, 2007 11:13pm

I’m pining for the halycon days of Russell Mulcahy… what, Kevin Smith is unavailable? At least Jonathan Frakes knows which way to aim the bloody camera…

Florsie
Wed, Dec 05, 2007 12:16am

Boy, this is going to suck big time.

Even with Christian Bale on it.

David C
Wed, Dec 05, 2007 2:52pm

While the name McG definitely scares me, I *love* the term “fauxteur,” and plan to use it often.

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Fri, Dec 07, 2007 7:07pm

I wish I could claim “fauxteur” as my own, but I cannot. I believe it was the gossip site Defamer that coined it.

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
Sun, Dec 09, 2007 4:28pm

Boy, this is going to suck big time.
–Florsie

Word.

I feel just like some Mexican kid* just took a picture of me and captured a sad expression on my face.

* Heh. Irony.

Clayj
Sun, Dec 09, 2007 5:12pm

This question just occurred to me earlier today, as I was watching a football game on Fox (my Panthers SUCK!) and they ran a promo for Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles:

How do the 3rd movie, the TV series, and this coming 4th movie jibe with each other canonwise? I mean, from the 3rd movie we know that Sarah Connor died of leukemia or something. So does the TV series come before the 3rd movie, or are we talking about some “it’s all thematically related” thing where history doesn’t necessarily have to remain consistent from movie to movie to TV series to movie? Will this 4th movie include the Katherine Brewster character (played by Claire Danes in the 3rd movie), who Ahnuld said would eventually end up married to John Connor? It’s bad enough that between the 2nd movie and the 3rd movie, the origin of SkyNet changed from being a Cyberdyne robotics project to a DoD strategic defense software system.

I guess I’m just getting a little ticked off about how fluidly they’re treating the timeline of the Terminator story.

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Mon, Dec 10, 2007 11:54am

I think the idea is that the universe keeps having to overcome the obstacles all this time-traveling is throwing up at it. :-> The universe wants humanity to be destroyed by the machines, but the clever humans keep coming up with ways to thwart that. So the universe has to rewrite things a bit and try again.

Clayj
Mon, Dec 10, 2007 2:18pm

I do agree that the Terminator movies make use of a recalculating Universe, where you CAN go back into the past and change history… of course, you really don’t have any idea what the new history will be like once you change something.

But T3 established that Sarah Connor died some time before the events of that movie. We’re not talking about a future event that may be prevented, we’re talking about the main character talking about something that has happened.

So I guess the real conflict here is between T3 and the TV series. As long as T4 takes place after Judgment Day (which is how T3 ended), and as long as Sarah Connor is not alive in T4, then I guess I’m OK. We’ll just pretend that the TV series is not canon.

littlem
littlem
Mon, Dec 10, 2007 10:28pm

Oh Noes!!! I’d watch Christian Bale read the phone book; perhaps we can get him to direct himself?

Why can’t we have McTiernan? Suits think he’s too old? Kathryn Bigelow? No, trouble in the home. Guy Ritchie? Too British to blow something up every two seconds?

What about the guy with the white hair (can’t remember his name) who directed Goldeneye with Brosnan and Bean?

Personally, I’d ask for Soderbergh, but this doesn’t seem to be his genre.

Just NOT McPompous. Can’t. Stand. It.

I know. Ridley Scott …