James McAvoy as Bilbo Baggins?

Apparently it’s almost a done deal:

Scottish actor James McAvoy has been tipped to take the lead role in the new movie version of Lord Of The Rings prequel The Hobbit….

Sir Ian McKellen will reprise his role as Gandalf and McAvoy is rumoured to be the favourite to take the lead role of hobbit Bilbo Baggins….

A source tells British newspaper the Daily Express, “A number of names have been doing the rounds, including Daniel Radcliffe and Jack Black, but James (McAvoy) is the one the film’s bosses really want.

I love McAvoy, but I’d never have thought of him for Bilbo… and now I love the idea.

(Technorati tags: , )

Clayj
Thu, May 29, 2008 9:18am

The idea of Jack Black playing a young Bilbo is just… what’s the word I’m looking for? Oh, right: INSANE.

James McAvoy looks like he could pull off playing a younger version of Ian Holm, who played Bilbo in the Lord of the Rings movies. I don’t think he’d be as good a “younger self” as Ewan McGregor was for Sir Alec Guinness, but he could be good.

pedro
pedro
Thu, May 29, 2008 11:15am

what the…? DANIEL RADCLIFFE!? are they on drugs? bilbo was not THAT young!?

also, jack black!? just cause he’s fat? might as well get pete jackson himself…

Danielle
Danielle
Thu, May 29, 2008 11:59am

I think it would be brilliant casting. I could definitely see James McAvoy as the son of Belladonna Took. :)

JSW
JSW
Thu, May 29, 2008 12:35pm

But Bilbo wasn’t any younger in The Hobbit than he was at the beginning of Lord of the Rings. He stopped aging when he got the ring. Unless Ian Holm looks significantly different now than he did in 2000 I don’t see why they wouldn’t just bring him back.

Kate
Kate
Thu, May 29, 2008 1:44pm

I gotta just echo the disbelief on the Jack Black front. Huh???? Why not Adam Sandler? or Pauly Shore?

Kathy A
Kathy A
Thu, May 29, 2008 3:15pm

Well, they did use sticky tabs to pull back Holm’s wrinkles for the prologue of FotR, so I can definitely see why casting him wouldn’t work. However, I have to think that McAvoy, as much as I love him, is still too young for the part. The-Hobbit-era Bilbo should be in his early- to mid-40s, at minimum.

Clayj
Thu, May 29, 2008 4:41pm

Maybe they can get David Tennant to play Bilbo. ;-)

bronxbee
bronxbee
Thu, May 29, 2008 6:10pm

David Tennant? he’d be the skinniest hobbit ever seen — i’d hate to see the Hobbit turned into a diet morality play. i want my 2nd breakfast and elevenses and dinner *and* supper… and i want Bilbo to have them too!

Clayj
Thu, May 29, 2008 7:37pm

He could always wear a fat suit… or maybe a slightly-overweight suit.

s
s
Thu, May 29, 2008 7:38pm

I think they’d have to so something really impressive with CGI to make Tennant look short.
I haven’t seen much of McAvoy, but he looks hobbity enough to me, with the wide-set eyes and all.

the rook
the rook
Thu, May 29, 2008 8:18pm

seeing as to how ian holm played frodo in the bbc radio series, i could see elijah wood playing bilbo in the movie.

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Thu, May 29, 2008 8:53pm

Maybe they can get David Tennant to play Bilbo. ;-)

Ah, now, you know I love Tennant, but he’d be totally wrong for Bilbo. Maybe an elf…